Giant Camas (Camassia leichtlinii)

I took this a couple of weeks ago at a local State Dept. of Fish and Wildlife area used largely for hunting but it is also a subject of prairie restoration. In this case, these over sized camas grow naturally in the riparian area along a stream that runs through the property. I was lucky enough to find one that had a fair amount of space behind it to soften the background.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5DIII, EF180 f/3.5 macro, tripod, f/8, 1/1000, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 3421x4815. Taken May 7th at 8:42 am.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A very nice environmental shot, Dennis - the flowers with their yellow tips standing out well against the bg. How I envy you being able to get to such places at the moment !

Dennis, this view shows of the Camas very well and it’s environment. The bent leaves below, the bug beside and the open S curve of the flower are nice touches. I can relate to how much searching you must have done to find this particular bloom.

@Mark_Seaver. I pretty much just ran across it, Mark. All of this species were in a relatively confined area and this specimen was fairly near the trail. With the growth of everything lately, I suspect it’s half buried by the grasses now.

You captured this lovely flower in the perfect lighting, Dennis. I really like the graceful curve of the flower and the surrounding grasses and the insect is an added bonus when opening the large version. The color palette of greens and purple works well together.

Dennis, this is a really nice image. I always love seeing both the open flower and the buds at the same time, and you captured it nicely, and in it’s environment. I like the way it is leaning to the left too.