Glorietta Occotillo

In normal locations, 3pm is not sunset, but with the sharply rising hills to the west, the sunny day ends early in this canyon. So backlit occotillo show up dramatically against the deeply shadowed slope. A lot of processing to accentuate some additional elements and bring down others. Still, this is a very busy scene.

Your thoughts and edits very much appreciated.

This version responds to a friend’s suggestion about bright stones on the hillside and bright LRC bush

This is gorgeous Dick. Backlit cactus against a deeply shaded canyon, what more could you ask for? Your processing of the backlight here is excellent, it is not always easy to capture the glow that we see in real life, but you have done an outstanding job in that regard here.

In terms of composition, I like how you used the smaller cactus and vegetation to fill in around the occotillo. Some folks might be bothered by the merger of the occotillo, but it doesn’t bother me here at all. There is so much visual impact from the backlight that it carries the image instead.

The backlighting is gorgeous and beautifully processed in this desert scene, Dick. I particularly like the warm colored flowers on the tips of the occotillo. Actually there are a wealth of details; which the backlighting highlights; that show up rather nicely in the larger version for the viewer to savor. wonderful image.

I will echo the previous two comments.

Thanks @Michael_Lowe @Ed_Lowe
@Ed_McGuirk. Funny thing, at the moment I really felt this would work, and processing went well, but as I hit the Post button my confidence tapered off a lot. Your ability to show your appreciation of this scene means a lot. We all don’t just put photos on this site; on a good day we put our selves. If you ever hanker to get to Anza Borrego I will be happy to share tips.

Surreal and evocative. I’m a sucker for chiaroscuro. Well seen and beautifully executed.

1 Like

Hi @Dick_Knudson, a great shot in my opinion.
I love contrast between plants and background in the upper part.
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Grazie Massimo. Treasured encouragement, coming from you.