Young Ocotillo Enjoying Last Rays of the Day

Whew, that’s a long title, but I can’t come up with anything here.

This was taken at a field of scattered volcanic rocks near San Ignacio. For some reason I love this field and the myriad of compositions it contains. In this case I was attracted to the red flowers at the end of the green stalks. I also have a vertical of this subject with the ocotillo as a foreground to a landscape with sky that I want to share later on.

D810 Tamron24-70@32mm, f/22, 1.6 secs, iso 64, PS processing, TK sharpening,

1 Like

Somehow I’m not “moved” by this high angle view, making me wonder how it would have been from a lower angle, if you have that. Looking forward to the vertical view. I grew up with ocotillo, to the point of having them for 2 of our fences, so I may be more demanding than many viewers. One of the prettiest blossoms on the planet in my book!

Igor,

I’m loving this one. Simple, but yet expertly crafted. The comp and arrangement of elements - not just the blossoms, but the arrangement of rock and even the small hint of mud flats indicating water in the desert… Oh, and the dappled light? a delightful addition to the scene.

Two minor suggestions. 1. A slight burn/vignette in the LRC (but not to the light on the rock) and 2, clone out the white rock in the ULC. Both no biggie, just small tweaks to make this one even better.

Lon

Igor, I am enjoying this nice intimate scene very much. The Ocotillo is not a plant I am familiar with but it is really a striking subject as presented. The rock placement and dapped light are a nice bonus!
I have no suggestions for improvements. Well done!

I am enjoying this one, Igor. I played with it some and find I like it better with the top third brought down (used a gradient mask and a curve layer pulling down the center point). To my eye, the real treat in this image is the warm light in the bottom 60% and I find the top area pulls away from there. Still enjoy the ocotilo shape, so no crop suggested.

I love what you have done with this one Igor. It is a graceful image that celebrates the more subtle kind of beauty found in nature. The young ocotillo is obviously the star here, but the inclusion of the volcanic rocks, especially the way they have been arranged within the frame, makes the whole composition more interesting. The dappled light adds to that.

I am particularly drawn to the manner in which you have used the area within the frame. It is a sophisticated composition.

Igor: I was intrigued by the thumbnail and each successive enlargement gets better and better. I like the subject, comp and light especially. Works really well for me. >=))>

Igor, this composition is simple yet sophisticated at the same time. The light here is exquisite. Masterfully seen and executed on your part. I know it is the desert, but for some reason the two elliptical rocks on the right resemble whales riding along the surface of the ocean. Pardon my ignorance, but where is San Ignacio?

Igor, I like all of the elements here, the fine arching branches and scattered blooms of the ocotillo as well as the scattered light on the rocks. I am finding your comp. challenging. I wish the ocotillo was a bit lower and further left in the frame, but also recognize that a challenging comp. may have been what you wanted.

There are many San Ignacios all over the planet, but this one is on there Baja Peninsula, about half way between the US border and the southern tip.

Thank you, @Hank_Pennington, @Lon_Overacker, @Alan_Kreyger, @Harley_Goldman, @Anil_Rao, @Bill_Fach, @Ed_McGuirk, and @Mark_Seaver for your comments on this post. I’ve been in the field without connectivity, so sorry for the delay.

Hank, I did not take a side view of this particular plant, although I’ve shot ocotillo from the side numerous times. This was a different approach to the subject.

Igor,

You might want to come in closer to the three main clusters of flowers. From my viewpoint, there is a lot of negative space that doesn’t add to the composition.

Thank you for your suggestion, Don. Perhaps you can crop the image to show what you have in mind.

Igor,

Here is my crop. I am not sure I like it as well as your original.

Don

Thank you. It does have that nice arc, which it shows beautifully.