Last Light

I made yet another trip to my boulder field, this time for an evening shoot. Unlike the palm composition which thrust itself upon me, I struggled this evening. As often happens with me I saw the composition for a fleeting moment as my vision passed from one place to another. I raised camera to eye level and within the dark frame of the viewfinder the composition crystallized. At that moment I knew exactly what I wanted. However, there was still a great deal of light on that rock face so I knew I had to wait up to 20-30 minutes. I left the camera on the tripod and explored other ideas. When I came back I was horrified to see that I had almost missed the ‘right’ moment.

Here is the thing. Most Baja aficionados will immediately recognize the squiggly shape at the bottom and this image will be meaningful (I think). Does that same shape have value artistically for those who don’t know what it is? Or is it a nuisance that should be removed?

1 Like

Igor, my kind of photo. As most of my work these days is all desert, I can easily relate to this scene. The simple, clean, and a bit isolated take most always has a calming effect. As this one does for me.

For me the squiggly little shape…:clown_face:…is truly an integral part of the scene and gives a point of attention…:+1:

1 Like

I really like this. Great light on the rock, nice shapes and color gradient in the sky. I did a quickie clone job on the stalk and like it better as posted. I think this turned out quite well.

1 Like

This is a really great study in Contrast. I love the way the Gradient of the sky is opposite to the exposure level on the stone. The solo squiggly tree gives a focal point which lends context and scale. I think it would work without it as well, but doesn’t distract for me

1 Like

Igor, I like this composition you clearly have a keen eye. No way would I remove the squiggle, for me this is the subject

1 Like

Wonderful image. Great composition. I really like this. (Maybe remove very small bush on left between left rock and middle rock?). The tree: an essential part of the photo.

1 Like

Thank you, @Jim_Gavin, @Harley_Goldman, @John_Neish, @Dan_Hawk, and @Paul_Breitkreuz.

The ‘squiggle’ in the image is the Boojum Tree or Cirio. It’s the most iconic tree of the peninsula. It is to Baja what the Redwood is to California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fouquieria_columnaris

This works beautifully, Igor. Simple, elegant composition and nice light. I was going to say to raise the luminosity a bit but the more I look at it, the more I like the darker, soulful rendering.

1 Like

Never having been to the Baja, I still knew the squiggle was a plant or tree of some kind, and it’s perfectly placed in that nook between the boulders. I absolutely would not remove it. I love the dark rendering here, it really sets off that light and looks like a classic “old school” style exposure (which is a great thing, in my mind). No suggestions from me!

1 Like

Igor,

This is excellent in so many ways, many already mentioned. Graphic representation - check, Great use of negative space - check, warm/cool color combo - check, timing of the beautiful light striking the rock - check, blue color gradient - check, use of found elements (squiggly) - check, different, out of the box - check.

No suggestions - check.

Great vision and execution Igor.

Lon

This works perfectly on all counts. Simple scene but very dramatic light.

Thank you for your comments, @Dave_Dillemuth, @Alex_Noriega, @Tony_Kuyper

• Check
1 Like

I love this image Igor,

Nothing to add that hasn’t been said

This is terrific Igor. I don’t have to know a thing about the plant in order for it to work. Your comp, framing, timing and of course the great sky pull it all together.

Hmm I really like this. It is delightful to the eyes and very graphic with the roundness of the boulders both lit and in silhouette proving a striking contrast to the one bare and spiky snag sticking up. This is most definitely my sort of distilled landscape and the sort of thing that film cameras resolve into composite shapes on film so very well without the distraction of shadow detail so often recovered in digital.

1 Like

Simple, elegant and squigley! Very well composed Igor. Keep the tree. Did u try the image as a B&W??

No it never occurred to me. But I think it’s an excellent suggestion. Thank you.

Would love to see it in comparison.

Great vision and great presentation. The comp is interesting and the light is incredible!

Terrific example that less is more can work so well, Igor. That last bit of golden light against the gradient of the rich blues of the sky and dynamic range of the rest are all very calming.