Going in for lunch

The color version

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While I always love the color of flowers and birds the best, I decided to give black and white a try last night. Am wondering if anyone likes the b/w, or just prefers color?

Technical Details

edited in ps

I also did a slight selective coloring on the background as well, on the color image.

Hi Judi. I find the B&W interesting, particularly in that it minimizes the out of focus background flowers that could distract from the foreground ones. For my taste, the half-colored second version doesn’t work well. I find the pale flowers in the background rather distracting.

Hi, thank you for your comment. I agree about the color one…appreciate the feedback!

Hello, I really appreciate your creativity in going black and white with this image. My personal preference is usually colour for wildlife, especially for something as colourful as a hummingbird. I think the black and white for the bird works here as it highlights the variety of textures in its feathers. The black flowers are beautiful and surreal and challenge my “need” for colour. I don’t know if that makes sense, but your photo has pulled me and makes me think.

To be picky, I find the bird’s left wing is lost in the black and white image as I wasn’t sure if it was a flower. Also I don’t find the top half of the image contributes to the story so I personally would crop the top half and use a different aspect ratio. That said, I have really enjoyed your black and white image.

Hi Judi, I like both photos as creative expressions. The black and white makes me appreciate the texture in the bird. The color is an interesting creative alternative look to me. Nice images.

Thank you for your feedack! I appreciate it.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate all your suggestions, and I can see what you are saying. I will have to go in and make some changes, for sure. Thank you again for taking the time to critique my image. :slight_smile: