Inspired

. . . .by Cole Thompson’s Black & White webinar. I don’t do many black & white images, but after listenting to Cole’s presentation I decided to give this image a try. I’ve post both the original (color) and the converted black & white for comparison.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I’m curious about how any of you feel about the color version vs b&w? Any and all other comments welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

“Artistically” does either one of the images grab your attention more than the other??
Any and all other comments welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

This photo is two images stacked in Photoshop.
Nikon D7200, f/9, iso 100, 1.3 sec., 100mm
(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Definitely the B&W for me because the fine, exquisitely beautiful details in the petals are visible. These details add so much!

Linda, I agree with Mark, that the veins in the pedals are more visible in the B&W than in the color image. I like the B&W the best. I used to shoot B&W when I first got into photography, and really enjoyed it. I need to get back and converting once in awhile. Very nice.

Thanks @Mark_Muller and @Shirley_Freeman for taking the time to comment. I appreciate your thoughts.

Linda: I don’t do much B&W myself but I do appreciate the genre and think you’ve done well here both with the conversion and the unconventional comp. The B&W does bring out the petal textures a bit better than the color but I do like the richness of the color and do prefer the BG on the color version. Kudos to you for trying something different and effective. >=))>

Thanks Bill. I must admit I go back and forth between the two version. Like you, there are bits of each that I appreciate. . . pretty sure that just combining those “bit” won’t work together very well in one image. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Linda,

Clearly the b&w for me. As others have mentioned, the details in the pedal are wonderful and the image is clearly all about that. I think you could even get away with cropping some of that negative space top and right to more of a square format?

The color version as presented just doesn’t grab the attention as the first. I’m wondering what an increase in luminosity might do? there’s detail in the flower of course and perhaps this could still be brought out making the color version just as impactful.

Lon

Thank you Lon for your kind words and comments. I like both of your suggestions and am experimenting with the cropping and luminosity. So much to learn. . . . .thanks again.