Swamp Lily

Black and White flowers? Super white flowers on dark water South FL

Specific Feedback Requested

What are your thoughts on black and white flowers?

Technical Details

Lumix S5

2 Likes

Just ran across the same flower in color is it alright to post the 2nd image?

I’ve done flowers as b&w conversions from time to time, but sometimes I find it’s done in a pretentious, look at me, I’m so artsy kind of way. Even my own conversions come across like that now and then because it’s such a flagrant, fly-in-the-face of convention sort of approach. Flowers evolved to be the effective tool they are because of their colors. The colors serve a biological purpose and are, in many ways, the fundamental reason they exist. So to separate that and render them monochromatic is pretty bold in the sense that you better be ready to show something else about them. In this case, you’ve done it well and I’m not pointing the finger at you specifically as being pretentious. This was kind of a stream-of-consciousness answer. I blame Covid. :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks @Kris_Smith
I never considered the biological aspect. Maybe because I am old and only had B&W to work with. Its hard to think about with digital technology. Adams started with dry plates.

I think this is stunning!! It’s not a description of the flower, it’s an artistic take on it, which I find much more fascinating! (The scene at Hernandez NM didn’t look like the image, either.) In this image, the shapes are gorgeous and the reflections a lovely surprise, with beautiful tonalities.

The color image is not nearly so interesting in comparison.

1 Like

@Diane_Miller
Thanks,
You get me, I do not see nature as documentation. To me, nature is about design. My flowers and birds are not true to life but how I see them. I like contrast in colors or B&W.
Just my way of seeing.
Thanks
Steve

I agree with Diane, this is just lovely, and better in B&W that changes it from a common plant portrait to a really nice moody interpretation. The petals dipping into water and reflections are important aspects of this. Yes, the tonalities are great, and the black background rounds it off nicely. Well done. Cheers.

Very nicely done, Steve. The reflection adds to the story very nicely. Great photo.

Thanks everyone
I like the B&W also