Night and Day Lily

I processed this in b/w several years ago and forgot about it. I was file browsing for focus stacks this afternoon (which this was, but in color) and found this jewel in the upload files. Composition- wise, this had a few flaws (if you count clipping the left side buds as flaws), but I felt the b/w conversion was awesome. You decide. I really liked it.:smile:

A ten Image focus stack

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Is the dynamic range well balanced?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

If this were your’s, what would you do differently?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Camera Info: Nikon D750, Tripod, remote release
Lens: VR 180mm f/2.8G
Focus Mode: Manual
AF-Area Mode: Single
VR: OFF
Aperture: f/4
Shutter Speed: 1/500s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 200
Full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2019, NIK Silver Efex Pro, Helicon Focus, Topaz Studio, TK sharpen for web @ 50%

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The texture of the petals is awesome and well suited for a BW display. I l,ike this one as presented…Jim

Phil, this works quite nicely as a B&W, as the clipped portion I think is less noticeable in B&W. The light blooms stands out well against the darker BG.

I agree with your taste, Phil. Awesome!

Phil: You ought to be pleased with this one. Really nicely done on the conversion. The buds on the side are irrelevant to me. You have to crop somewhere. The BG buds OTOH are perfectly rendered and complementary. Superbly crafted image.>=))> :+1::clap::+1::clap:

A game-changer, Phil ! Normally I don’t take to b & w flowers, but this pulls the eyes in with a bang. The mass of leaves and buds surrounding the flower also make this especially good for me.

1 Like

Very striking, Phil - this great as a B&W.
I’d personally selectively darken all the BG stuff so only a hint is left.
Lovely!
Sandy

There’s something about a monochrome flower that is always special. I think it has to do with finding that they’re still lovely even without all the color. This is very nicely composed. I really like the OOF areas and the way they frame the flower and buds.