Black & Blue

I know black backgrounds are kind of cliched, but with little to no effort needed in this case it was a no brainer. The dye in the water, combined with full polarization left just a slight levels adjustment in post to make the flower really pop against the bg.
Longwood Gardens, PA

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

This is just beautiful, Michael. Love the colors of the flower, wonderful details, and to me, that black background makes the colors of the flower pop. Nice presentation.

Michael: Who cares about cliché when you get such a spectacular result. Marvelous subject superbly rendered. :+1:t2: :+1:t2:>=))>

Michael: In this case the black looks pretty perfect. Those colors really pop! Very nice image!

Hi Michael,

Nothing wrong with a black BG used in a botanical art photo. I can’t provide you with any nits because I like this one as presented. Awesome…Jim

WOW!! Simply drop dead gorgeous! Well done!

Beautiful subject, presented perfectly. The black background works well. No suggestions for improvement.

Michael, the black water really lets the lily’s colors and shape stand out beautifully. A very striking result.

Amazing glow presented very well. Sharp flower and the black background work well. A beautiful image!

Sweet capture, Mike! I am usually not a big fan of black BGs, but it works rather nicely in this case. The lily has a wonderful glow to it and is tack sharp as well. I also like the color combination of blue and yellow. No suggestions from me.