Multiflora Rose

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 30D, 180mm macro, 1/50 @ f/9, ISO 100

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Very nice image Michael. I love how the colors of the flowers are also reflected in the background. The detail in the flowers is great. Totally reminds me that spring is here. Thanks for posting this photo.

Hi Michael - This is a wonderful subject and I love all of the details in the flowers. I also think the interaction between the flowers and the background generally works well. A few things catch my eye. I am willing to clone out little things in my own photos, so if this were mine, I would clone out the partial leaf about halfway up the left side. Also, I would consider cloning some green over the lighter, less saturated spot in the upper left hand corner. Because it is so different from the rest of the background, it catches my eye. If you were to try taking this scene again, you could also try to position yourself (maybe just a little bit to the right) to try to get the out of focus flower on the left edge out of the frame. I know those things are often unavoidable but in this case, I think a solidly green background would let the main flowers show off without distractions in the background. Otherwise, this is such a welcome sign of spring and I just love the subject/framing.

Michael: Wonderful subject and lighting and a fine comp. I see Sarah’s points and pretty much agree but this is very nice as is. Keep 'em coming! >=))>

Quite lovely and beautiful Michael! Love the details in the blossoms; colors, processing look great.

Great job with the soft bg and case where a brighter background works very nicely; often brighter areas can take away from the image, but in this case, I like the glow that is added to the scene.

I would agree with Sarah on the left edge. In fact, I’d go a bit further. There’s mildly distracting piece in the LLC. I would also see what you could do about the medium white tones on the left edge as well. Both very minor, but I think qualify as border patrol elements. None of those are image killers - this is quite lovely.

Lon

1 Like

Beautiful lighting, Michael, and a very satisfying composition. The vari-coloured bg complements the flowers perfectly.

Bet this would also be striking as a black & white. Nice flow to the branch and placement in the image.

Mike,
For such an invasive plant this can produce some lovely flowers. I actually quite like the BG as it is sufficiently OOF and has a pleasing color palette. My only suggestion would be to clone or crop the green leaf and the small section of a white petal along the left edge. I hope you don’t mind, but here is a repost with a small crop. This has a nice airy feel to it that is inviting.