Lotus in the Garden

What technical feedback would you like if any?

In order to create a background I made various adjustments in LR and Nik. I worry that the stems in the bottom edge of the image have taken on strange tones. As may have other parts of the subject. Can you see this?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
1/1000 sec at f/4.0, ISO 200, 78 mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Adrienne,
Lovely image with black background working well against lighted flower and the leaf. I see that the stems have darkened and probable browned in the process of creating a dark background, but that looks fine to me. Both the flower and the leaf are sharp. The only thing (this may be personal preference) I would have preferred would be to lighten the blackened part of the stem on the leaf to maintain its continuity toward the leaf. I also wonder if this would have been more striking if converted to B&W.

Thank you for your input, Ravi. I have worked on lightening the stem because that is important. I have also posted a b/w version I had already made.

Adrienne

Adrienne: I like this very much as presented. The dragonfly is a very nice supporting element. Top notch shot. >=))>

Adrienne: there’s beauty and elegance in simplicity and you’ve achieved it here. The subjects stand out very well against the dark background and are captured with fine detail. The dragonfly is a plus. Richard

You have a good eye for composition and this image is no exception. If you hadn’t mentioned the stem I probably wouldn’t have noticed. The lighting is excellent also.