Lotus

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Adrienne! Welcome to NPN!

This is a very nice first post. I really like the composition and back lighting against the black background. The depth of field and focus are good too, though I think the image could use a bit of sharpening. Well done!

FYI - It is helpful when critiquing an image when the technical information is included, like ISO, aperture and shutter speed settings. It is also helpful when you describe the environment or setup and let us know if there is anything specific you would like a critique to focus on.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your comments. This is a very old image,. That may account for the lack of sharpening. I have yet to figure out how to post correctly. I will work on supplying technical details.

Greetings, Adrienne - welcome to NPN!

Holy cow, this is so great! Both the composition and light are wonderful. The light on the stems is subtle but effective, and the gradation of light and color moving up the frame really draws my eye to the bud. Did you consider “fixing” the little brownish areas of damage on the leaves? This is such a formal composition that it feels like it the leaves should be in perfect condition. If you’re good with the brown spots, though, never mind. It really is gorgeous.

Welcome to NPN and the Flora Critique Forum, Adrienne. A great first post. I love the composition of this image and the lighting is very good. I notice that Steve mentioned sharpening. When I looked at this image, it felt as if the backlit leaf was just a bit softer than the rest, so I’d be tempted to sharpen it and leave the rest alone. Also, to my eye, the backlit leaf is just a bit too bright and competes a bit to much with the bud-I’d probably tone it down a touch, but that’s a very personal judgement.

I’m looking forward to your future posts and your insights on other people’s work.

Thank you so much. I took this 10 years ago in my garden with my first camera, using a black drape as a background.
I often do fix brown spots, but I didn’t have the right software for it back then, I guess. The plant is still in the garden and will flower again soon, along with several others, lotus are a passion of mine. I live in Japan.

1 Like

Adrienne: Welcome to NPN in general and to the Flora gallery in particular. This is a marvelous image. I like the light on the leaves pretty much as is along with the light on the bud. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to more. >=))>

Very pleasing composition, subject and background. Welcome and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Beautiful composition and excellent lighting. Agree with Dennis on sharpening the backlit leaf. I like the way the colors on the stems gradualy emerge from the dark bottom. Lovely image for a first post.