Grand Canyon Elk

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Hiking at the end of the day from Monument Creek to Pima Point I ran across this elk grazing peacefully near the trail. As I was watching a taking pictures, another elk came across the trail and started grazing near this one. I had to keep moving so I could catch the shuttle back to civilization before they shut down for the evening.

Specific Feedback

I was using a 100-400 lens with a 1.4 TC at 140 mm, and I tried to back out a ways so I could get a better overall frame. There was too much brush and I had to shoot from where I was. I really liked this old tree next to the elk with all of its twisted limbs. I did a little vignette at 30% opacity in post processing to try to emphasize the elk a bit more.

Technical Details

Canon 7DMii, f6.3, 1/400 sec, iso 1600, +1 step, 140 mm. Small crop on the left.

Oh for more leisure to work with wildlife. It’s tough, but hey, it sounds like it was enjoyable anyway. I really wish she had her head up and that there was a bit more room to the right of her back end. Good texture in the fur - molting maybe? I think the vignette is subtle enough that it didn’t jump out at me and I like the way the branches frame her.

1 Like

Thank you @Kris_Smith. Too close is not usually the problem with elk.