Grand Canyon Sunset (Update II)

UPDATE: Replaced the original file because it was just too far off the mark. I think the below represents a better starting place for comments, though I do very much appreciate Adhika’s initial critique.

Hi All,

Shot this in Grand Canyon in 2013. I gave this warning on my last landscape photo, but I am an average, at best, landscape post processor. So, I’ll take all the help I can get. This is a blend of two images, one for the sky and one for the landscape. I used TK masks to try and build contrast in the tones via a levels adjustment, a curves adjustment, and some dodging/burning. Worked on the colors a little bit in C1P. Again, all feedback welcome!

Techs:
D3s
16-35 f/4 at 22mm
ISO 200
f/16

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@feelingruby

UPDATE II:

Ok, here’s where I landed on the latest version. If people have the patience, I’d love some additional comments:

1 Like

Lyle, such a great light. There is so much depth in the BG by the layering and the atmosphere in the scene. I feel that the contrast is a little bit too much, especially on the layers closer to us. It is however fine for the distant ones. Also the lower left area seems a little bit bright for something that is under the shadow.

That said, the contrast works really well for B&W I think. I did a straight up B&W conversion and burn the FG:

1 Like

Thanks, Adhika. I hadn’t even considered trying B&W. For now, I’m going to have another go at a color version, using a couple frames from later in the evening. I am having so much trouble with the tones that, perhaps, I should’ve been trying a B&W version for a while now! I also see that the color version is just too saturated. That’s the problem with editing in a hurry!

What an image Lyle!

I enjoy your version, but after seeing Adhika’s I really think the BW is the more powerful version. There is just so much drama in the lighting that the colors almost seem to distract? I think you could tweak that BW a little here and there and really have a winner. The images are different enough that you could leave this version here for more comments on the color version if desired, and then post a BW in a new thread.

Regardless as to the version, you really caught a nice moment!

1 Like

I’m going to go against the grain here, and say I prefer to see this image in color instead of B&W. The color version has some interesting cool/warm color contrast between blue and yellow. I think the light is more dramatic in the color version as well.

With that said, I recommend tweaking the processing of the color image further. The highlights near the sun are too bright for me, and it feels like the shadows in the canyon could be darker too. While I think the foreground bush helps the composition, I feel like it’s luminosity is too bright, and draws too much attention away from the interesting light in the canyon below, so I would burn down the foreground. Here is a rework, addressing my comments…

2 Likes

What I find wonderful about this scene is the softness in the BG, mostly in the right half, with the lovely blues and golds. Did you possibly zoom in on that area, without the FG? On the image as it is, if it were me, I would try to soften the immediate FG, bush and reddish rock face in the midground – both in contrast and detail / sharpness. You have a very special image here!

1 Like

I was going to say the same thing as Diane. I much prefer the soft colour version as well and think this will work really well but I couldn’t help wondering if your sharpening was far too aggressive it seems (at least on an ipad) to be almost granualar with the edges of some of the canyons almost lined with a razor blade. I would try just easing back a little and I think the foreground would look more comfortable. Ed’s version seems to be a little kinder particularly on the foreground and wee tree. The scene is beautiful as is the lighting you captured.

1 Like

Thanks, @John_Williams, @Ed_McGuirk, @Diane_Miller, and @Ian_Cameron. Ed, I love where you took the processing. I think that’s where it needs to go. I have frames where the highlights are completely under control, so that shouldn’t be an issue. The luminosity of the foreground bush gave me tons of trouble, but keeping it darker doesn’t look like it diminished it too much. Will give the photo another attempt.

Diane and Ian, I also noticed the over-sharpness. I actually haven’t sharpened the photo at all (and these frames were all shot at the same focal length; no trickiness with a perspective blend or anything). I think the sharpness comes from adding too much contrast with luminosity masks.

Appreciate all the comments!

Your Grand Canyon Sunset II led me to this image, another beautiful one. Great scene and light.
I prefer the color image over the B&W version. I can understand the comments of @Diane_Miller and @Ian_Cameron, and I like the version of @Ed_McGuirk. A wonderful image to work on and try different PP.
Your latest version is a bit too saturated for my taste, I prefer more muted colors.

1 Like

This is almost exactly what i had in mind so not going to say anything extra on the cc.

I will add that this is a superb image. Really nicely composed.

1 Like

Thanks, @Han_Schutten and @Eugene_Theron. I think you’re right. Those colors got away from me in a curves adjustment.