Grand Canyon Sunset

I’ve only been to the Grand Canyon once, in the late afternoon and twilight time. Most of the images I took were in harsh light with a lot of haze so are better in B&W. This was pretty much the only one that worked in color. It was almost sunset with low angled light. The light illuminated the sky so the haze was minimized.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1DS III, EF 70-200 f/2.8 @ 200mm, .4 sec @ f/16, ISO 100, Tripod, Polarizer.

This is a challenging image, Lots of contrasts – luminosity, color, saturation, and textures. The challenge is to somehow harmonize all those contrasts. The large bright, densely colored wall on the left wants to pull eyes toward itself. The dark lower area seems to have some latent detail.
I first went with a monochrome treatment, then let that go back to color. In the end, I noticed that you have a shot at a fascinating abstract of just the “center-cut”. I notice that in none of them did I heal out the bright spot in lower center.

Thanks Dick, nice reworks. I do think the color is better than the B&W. I like the crop you did to focus on an abstract nature. Well done.

I really like this image as is. It’s got quite a unique (at least to me) layered composition that I quite like and this looks different, in a good way, to all of the other images of the Grand Canyon that I think I’ve ever seen. I also really like that area of light surrounded by shadow near the center of the image. I had to do a double take to make sense of what I was seeing but I think it’s rather neat.

1 Like

I like the interplay of light and shadow on the buttes - especially the spot lighting on the central butte. The panoramic aspect ratio emphasizes the expansiveness of the Grand Canyon. I wonder about lifting the shadows a little in the lower half of the frame. While the deep shadows help balance out the sky I do find my eye gets stuck in the shadows a bit.

I like the fact that you didn’t raise the shadows and lowered the lights. This way the creeping shadows are more pronounced and that’s what this image is about for me.

1 Like