Granite Cascade

I captured this image on a backcountry excursion in mid-September but due to some family issues I’m only recently getting around to process. After a few blustery days I was fortunate to get a perfectly still sunrise and a bit of high clouds. This is a two image focus stack shot with a 6 stop ND filter to create a 15 sec exposure (some may not care for the silky water look but I prefer to the files shot w/o the ND).

5DSr, Canon 16-35 f/4, Lee 6 stop ND

2 Likes

Hey @Dave_Dillemuth,

I also like the silky look on the water, the water creates an S curve to the mountain tops and that gorgeous light.
I love that flowers on the lower part of the image, those colours just pop gorgeously.
The only thing i would change (for personal taste only) would be the constrast on the sky, maybe create a little more drama with those clouds.
Thanks for sharing, great image,
Cheers

1 Like

Real nice Sierra scene, Dave. Personal taste, but I would back off a lot on the blue in the water and even some in the granite. Minor. Looks good.

1 Like

Really nice, Dave. That light on the mountains is great and you’ve handled the contrast range and dof very well. The comp is a tiny bit right heavy to my eye, JMHO, but I still wouldn’t mind having it in my portfolio.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Nicely composed and processed Dave, it’s a great image. I especially like the silky texture in the water, good call on using the ND here. And the processing of dynamic range is perfect. I agree with @Harley_Goldman that a bit of warming would help. I downloaded and played with it, and simply adding the PS “Photo Filter - Warming” at it’s default settings made for a nice improvement to my eye.

My other nit would be that the orange flower on the right is tight to the edge. Would like to see a bit more breathing room there. I would not crop it, you need the space on the right.

1 Like

A wonderful scene, this is why I put up my tent in the mountains on holidays, half a life ago. Great image.
I agree with @Harley_Goldman and @Ed_McGuirk about the blueish water. I added a personal attempt. The silky water is a matter of taste, I prefer exposures no longer than max. 0,5 sec for flowing water like this, but I know I am an exception :smiley:
The sky is good for me.

2 Likes

Hi Dave,

This is a great scene! And well worth the hike.

I don’t mind the silky water but a faster shutter speed of about 1/5s would work also. I think the luminosity of the silky water is higher than the luminosity of the sky. As the light in the foreground is reflected blue light from the sky I think the image would flow better and offer a little more realism if you burned the whitewater slightly.

1 Like

I agree with those who suggest removing some of the blue in the stream. I like silky water, so this works for me.

It would be nice if there was a tad more texture in the bright area of the main cascade, but that’s minor.

The composition works really well, and the light is gorgeous. It’s nice to see the late-season flowers, too.

Nicely done, Dave!
-P

1 Like

Gorgeous Dave! l love what you managed with the very long exposure - and kept the stream from washing out; AND keeping those delicate little flowers sharp. I also like that the exposure softened the clouds up top. This is just a beautiful mountain landscape. No nits or suggestions from me.

Lon

1 Like

I personally like the silky smooth water Dave. The warm light on the mountain tops and foreground flowers are really nice too.

1 Like

Wonderful capture, Dave! I personally like the silky water too, so this is right up my alley.

The great composition and leading lines are very nicely done! That hint of alpine glow really tops it off in my opinion.

At first I didn’t have a problem with the bluish tint to the water, but after seeing Han’s rework, I have to agree.

Very nicely done!

1 Like

This is a gorgeous high country scene, Dave. The light on the peaks is outstanding and the wispy clouds are definitely a plus as they fill the sky rather nicely. I too could see a little less blue in the shaded part of the image, but that is just a personal choice. My only suggestion would be to try and clone a little detail in that bright area of the main falls. Outstanding work.

1 Like