Great Blue Heron Flying Low

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Does the crop work?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I was shooting at a rookery in Rockport, TX when this heron flew over very low. I didn’t pull back on the zoom fast enough and clipped a wing. However, I liked the sharpness and detail I got from the close proximity and decided to play with the crop. I chose this crop for the impact of closeness and for what I thought was different than most I’ve seen.

Technical Details

1/2000, f6.3, ISO 400
Processed in Lightroom and then Color Efex Pro.

1 Like

Wham! That’s close, baby! That’s my initial reaction. That and glad to not be on the receiving end of that bill. Great reflexes to get it at all, never mind this clearly and crisply. the crop works ok considering, and I can’t think of how else to manage it with the clipped wing. You might have a go at bringing down the highlights in the face just a tiny bit. I love the trailing head feathers.

1 Like

Now that is a close encounter with a flying object, Terri! Nice details, and well managed light with the shadows under the wings (with darker feathers) and the whites that are in the sun. The composition works for me.

1 Like

LOL. I chose this for the weekly challenge, not realizing that I’d already posted it before. I haven’t been active on the forum and this was the last photo I submitted when it was taken 2 years ago. Sorry for the repeat. :slight_smile:

thanks for the replies.

This is a really cool close-up “From Below” perspective, Terry!
I can see why you thought of it for the weekly challenge!
I like the sharpness and the overall feel, I can easily imagine seeing this in person.
I bet it was an exciting experience to have actually captured this on digital film. :slight_smile:

In the thumbnail size, I was a bit confused about what this was and part of that was from the two colors under the left and right wings.
The head was easily recognizable in the thumbnail but the confusing part was where it was coming from, it became obvious when I viewed it full size but the wing color difference was still there for me.

I decided to download it just to see what it would look like to reduce the saturation on the left wing and maybe even lower the highlights of the side of the head.
It seemed to look pretty good to me so instead of just coming back to make a suggestion in text only, I figured I might as well just post the results since I already had it.
You may disagree with my thoughts and that’s cool, it’s your image so all I have is a suggestion :slight_smile:

Wonderful capture!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, I really like your crop…it gives a very graphic and contemporary feel, and something different is always refreshing to see.

1 Like