Great Sand Dunes National Park Dead Trees & Snow in Infrared

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: This image was taken in infrared. I used infrared to lighten the ground foliage which would have distracted from the dead trees.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

So this isn’t snow that we are seeing? Either way, it’s a really good image. This is one of those images that, to me at least, shows that the meaning of the image is more important than light or composition. This is a very emotional image.

It is a several inch layer of snow on the underlying plants. I made another image of the area with a regular camera and you can see the plants.

Quite a striking image. Very interesting to read your IR decision process. The wreckage on the ground is a solemn, poignant echo of the carcass not yet fallen.
The big contrast area is the leaning tree against the sky. I wonder if too much so… if that tree were less black, would my eyes more readily traverse the scene to take in the detailed story below the horizon?

Here’s an image taken on the same morning with a regular camera (no IR)

Wow what a difference the Infrared makes in the appearance of ttis image, thanks for sharing the non-infrared version, it makes for a very striking comparison. I like the starkness of this image, and the IR adds to the starkness, and the sense of the winter season. It does a beautiful job of isolating the critical elements of the scene. No nit’s from me, I’m enjoying this very much as presented.

Hey @bob13

Gorgeous high key image. Really like the contrast you got from IR. The composition is very interesting to me. That diagonal tree trunk on the ground leads my eye to that far tree on the horizon and then to the main tree.
I also would like to know more about this IR process you used. Is it film of digital?

Thanks for sharing,
Cheers

The digital image was taken with a converted Fuji XT-1 camera and 18-135mm lens. The conversion was a 720nm filter

1 Like

Very beautiful. Your careful composition is striking. This evokes grief for me.

Thank you Bonnie. Grief?

Both images are very striking Bob. This also evokes grief or sadness for me as well especially the original images. The tree on the left watering over its fallen companion knowing it will befall the same fate.

Thank you Eva. The whole photo shoot was very special as we ran around all these dead trees making images.

Your second post a different mood. Have you tried infrared on that one but maybe no need. I like that one too.

That image was an after thought. I took many images of dead trees in infrared but I wanted to see what a full spectrum image would look like

Both images are special. Your original is one of those images that really grab a viewer. It’s so stark and graphic and using IR really makes it pop even more. This is true art, not just a pretty picture. This needs to be printed large (very large), and matted and presented in a stellar fashion. 10 outa 10 score from me.

Thank you Bill for your kind words