Green log

Good morning everyone.

This log as fallen down months ago on one of my favourite trails, I like the embracing moss and plants on it.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

As usual any, but mainly the exposure and color balance.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition wise I tried some diferent ideias bit this one was my favourite one. Any thoughts?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Tripod shot with polariser.
35mm f6.3 1/20 @iso 400

Post processing, just some brush on the ground and tree on the back to lower the highlights and some colour tweaking.

Many thanks to all and good Sunday,
Cheers.

João Ferrão

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The image is from your world. It triggers pleasant memories for you when you see it. No one else can have that experience, because in them, it triggers nothing, we have no memories of this place to trigger. Pleasantries you associate with this image will never be seen by anyone else, they are unique to you.
So…this is a picture of moss and a crack in a tree. The part that I can see (what is in focus), is 15% of the image. The 85% out of focus part of the image tell me not much. I prefer pictures that tell me something. Just one view, thanks for the post.

1 Like

João, I think there is a nature story here, your own description of the image tells us what that is, it’s the log, the moss and the plants. I think you could have told that story more effectively by getting closer to your subject, simplifying the image, and using greater depth of field. If you are trying to tell a story about the log and the moss, I would rather see a more intimate scene that emphasizes details, rather than showing it as part of the overall forest.

Using a macro lens, or a short telephoto would let you get in closer to the details of the log and moss. In the image presented, the dark tree at the top competes for attention with your subject, this is where showing less would be more by simplifying the image, And if you are going to emphasize details, then you need more depth of field than f 6.3 gives you.

If this is on one of your favorite trails, I suspect it would be easy for you to go back and try a different interpretation of this scene. If showing details is your goal, I would go back on an overcast day when the light is soft and even, which would allow the colors and details to stand out.

1 Like

Hi @stevenm I agree with every point you made. Photography is relative as every single frame you shot as a part of you in it. And even the masters couldn’t and can’t please everyone. I have to learn think how others would see my images and try to make them more relatable to others while still not losing the part of me that’s on them. And your comment was a great reminder of that and I thank you for that :slight_smile:

Cheers
João Ferrão

Hey @Ed_McGuirk I tried some diferente compositions bit none of them with a telefoto and the macro lens didn’t even cords my mind. Guess I’ll bring the tubes with me next time ahah this is a foto taken on a day of experimentations. And as I heard a photographer say once (sadly don’t remind who) you learn from your mistakes not your success. I’ll try some changes next walk there. Thanks for your comment.

Cheers
João Ferrão

I can understand why you were interested in photographing this scene. It does have potential, but for some reason camera shake took over. My experience with tripods taught me the lesson that you get more shake than if handheld if you don’t use a cable release. If you go back again, take some images with and without a tripod and then you can determine if the camera is misbehaving or it is indeed camera shake.

1 Like

Hi @Patricia_Brundage I didnt notice any camera shake but I ll have to redo this image and I’ll follow your advice :wink: I shot this one with 2 (or 10, don’t remind) seconds timer to prevent that shake. Even shot it with a relative fast shutter because it was a bit windy, maybe that was the problem.
Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers.
João Ferrão