Greenbriar Spring I

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was captured at Greenbriar, an area of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The Pigeon River, of which this is a small part, is lovely in Spring. The water is usually abundant and the light is still soft.

Specific Feedback

Will appreciate your thoughts/comments!

Technical Details

Canon EOS RP; EOS 70-200 f/4 lens; ISO 200, f/18, 2.5 sec

2 Likes

Beautiful work Susanna. Very artistic in the placement and intensity of the tones. It also has a mysterious sense to it. That dark form of a rock in the center is just great. It steals the show from the delicate leaves.

A beautiful image and great processing. The only thing I think I would do is to crop some off the left side.

Outstanding, Susanna! I don’t think it needs any more cropping, personally. I love the tonal range in this and the shutter speed for the water motion is spot-on. I love that area of the park - not as many go there, but it’s lovely!

Thanks so much, Igor!

Hmm, interesting. Thanks, Garry! Now that I look at the image with that in mind, I see your point. Maybe just to the right of the little dark rock on the left?

Brenda, thanks so much! I love that area, too. Unfortunately, it was closed last year due to damage from a storm, so we didn’t go this last spring. Hoping it’s accessible now, especially for fall color.

Yes, I think it would improve it. You might also tone down the rock in the top left just a little.

1 Like

Definitely lovely!! One issue is that the brightest area is in the LL corner, which tends to pull my eye. Maybe a subtle darkening in that area?

Thanks, Diane! I’ll give that a try. I appreciate your input!

Hi Susanna, I really like this. It’s a photo that is a bit mysterious, I alway find that pleasant. The shutterspeed was very wel choosen as it created a very good contrast between the flow of the water over the soft round rock and the leaves which are more ragged. Perhaps I would have darkened the light bit on the rock in the upper left corner, my eye keeps being drawn to it. I like the colouring, it enhances the softness and tranquility of the photo. The light is wonderful.

Susanna, I love the composition as it is so I too would not cut anything. The chasing of lights and shadows is artistic. May be lowering a little bit he light in the center and the LLC? Just a try.

Thanks, Judith! It was a magical morning, with wonderful light. :slightly_smiling_face: I haven’t had a chance to work on the image yet, with the suggestions. I’ll definitely try your recommendation!

1 Like

Thanks, Giuseppe! I appreciate your (and everyones’) suggestions. I will work on the image today or tomorrow and repost it. :slightly_smiling_face:

I love that you chose to render this in black and white. The tones in this are just terrific and I love the mood an depth to this image. I might be inclined to burn, ever so slightly, the water in the LLC and make it the same tone as the other bright water but that’s a minor nit for sure. I love the whole frame and wouldn’t crop from the left. Beautiful image.

Thanks, David! It seems that the consensus is that the LLC area need a little burning in. I’ll do that with a mask, etc. Hope to get to it today or tomorrow. Appreciate your feedback!

Susanna, this is a wonderfully peaceful image. I love the B&W treatment and the toning. No cropping is needed in my view. I do agree with a bit of burning in the lower left corner white water…but just a touch.

I’m sure this would look great as a large print…well done.

Cheers,
David

It’s a b&w image. What did you mean?

This is so beautiful. The water is silky peaceful. Wow!

Thank you, Mark!