A Country Drive

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken in the Smoky Mountains on my camping trip last April. The spring greens this time of year are stunning. This image was taken in Cades Cove which is probably the most famous drive in the Smokies and rightly so. I knew I wanted to take a photo of this tree, but never had good lightening when I drove by. Later this day some clouds came through and the low spring sun gave me some lighting to work with. I was happy with this shot.

Specific Feedback

I’m not sure I would change anything if I had a chance to, but I’m very open to suggestions. I like the silhouetted tree on the rt., and think the fence might balance it out some, but would like to know if others think the same. Any other suggestions are also welcomed.

Technical Details

Sony a7rV 24-70 mm @70mm
Handheld
f/11
ss/1/320
ISO/800
ACR/Photoshop

I’d be happy with it, too – the composition is pleasing and the fence does provide balance and a leading line to the tree. The distant hills give pleasing depth.

It’s a very peaceful scene. Well captured, in terms of the light, for sure. I personally find the tree on the right a bit distracting. I wonder how it might have looked to have stepped into the scene a bit farther. Maybe set the camera much lower and have the fence on the right be almost at the top right of the frame moving in and down toward the base of the tree. Then, fill more of the image with that amazing tree. Not sure how the road curves at that point but it seems as if the curve continues to the left.

A beautiful composition. I love the framing, maybe a few steps backwards might create some additional mystery. Also darkening the tree a bit would create some separation from the grass and create a more 3 dimensional feel. My eyes are drawn to the lighter section of the sky, maybe a tad darker.

I hope you don’t mind, I made some minor adjustments. I darkened the tree, added a Linear gradient, lowering the exposure. I also darkened the grass and added some warmth and brought down the exposure on the light area of the sky.
These are some of my favorite scenes to photograph. Great capture.

How lovely! I immediately wanted to be on that road exploring what might be down the hill and around the bend. The framing works for me. The slight leaning-in of the tree on the right accentuates the curve of the road and adds to the feeling of wanting to move on down the road. Well done!

What a beautiful scene, Donna! :slight_smile:

It’s a wonderful composition with gorgeous rolling hills, perfectly placed central tree, perfect style of fencing, gravel road, active clouds, sunlight from the side, colors, shadows and…all put together in a very artistic way. :slight_smile:

I can easily imagine a canvas/oil paint type artist going for a scene just like this!

Well done! :slight_smile:

This is a beautiful, well done image. The light is marvelous and so is the composition. I like the tree on the right as well with it’s shadow crossing the road. It makes the image more complex. And the tree’s leaves near the top add some complexity to the sky. This is definitely not a beginners image. You’ve come a long way since joining. There’s a definite emotional pull in this image. I also like how the road and fence drops down into the tree pulling the eye into that funnel.

I think that this is a wonderful image Donna and I would be really happy with it as well! The inclusion of the dark tree on the right side make for a very interesting and effective frame and you couldn’t ask for anything better than that beautiful line of the fence. Nicely done!

@Diane_Miller @Bonnie_Lampley @Merv @Tom_Nevesely Thank all of you for commenting on my image. Your critiques give me a good feeling that I’m headed in the rt. direction with my photography. I have been working hard on bettering my compositions. It makes them harder to find , but I’m always happier with the outcomes. Thank you.

@Paul_Holdorf Thanks for your good suggestions. I live to far from the Smokies to visit them very often, but I love being there in the spring so I know there’s another trip there in my future. This is one of many beautiful single trees in this area. I’ll think about your suggestions the next time I’m in front of this glorious tree.

@Mozzam_Hosein Thank you for your suggestions. I never mind if someone wants to play around with one of my images. I take it as a complement. I’ll take your suggestions and see what I can come up with.

@Igor_Doncov Thanks Igor.

Those words mean a lot coming from you. The NPN community has played a big part in my learning process and it’s well appreciated. I know I still have a lot of growth ahead of me, but I’m loving every minute of it.

1 Like

Very well done. There is a lot to take in, but the elements complement each other and it is not too much. The one thing I would have changed (apart from what Mozzam said - I can see his point), is to lighten up the shadow on the tree on the right. I think there is so much detail in this photograph with the exception of this tree silhouette. I agree with Marvin and think this would also work with a paintery effect added in post, as subject matter and composition strongly suggest the eye of a painter. Thanks for sharing!

Wonderful scene and capture Donna. So tranquil and makes me want to be on a road trip in the Sierra foothills right now… In fact this could be a scene here in CA - although the rolling hills in the bg don’t quite resemble the CA foothills… but not matter, it’s a wonderfully seen and captured.

I can’t say there’s much that I would do to improve on this. I suppose you could raise the shadow detail of the tree on the right; but not so much it takes away from the main tree and focus of the scene. The road and fence line are wonderful components as well.

Ditto to Igor’s comment!

@holgermischke Sorry I somehow missed your comment. I saw it when Lon gave his critique to this image. Thank you for taking the time to add your suggestions. I had fun taking this shot and I would like it to be the best it can be. I had 3 suggestions to lighten the tree on the rt., so I’ll defiantly do that. I’ll also play around with some of Mozzam’s suggestions to see what I can come up with. Thanks again.

@Lon_Overacker Hi Lon, happy to hear from you. I’ve been to CA many times, but unfortunately I didn’t have a camera in those past times. Yes, it does look like parts of CA. I’m glad you like this scene. I had fun taking many photos of lone trees in this area. We don’t get much separation in our beautiful forests around Ithaca. Thanks for the “Ditto”. That makes me feel happy.