Sunset Silhouette

Repost - Cropped in on the tree as suggested by @Matt_Payne

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is another shot taken on my Smoky Mountain camping trip. The photo was taken in Cades Cove. I spent a lot of time in this cove because it felt magical to me. I was lucky to have a variety of weather the week I was there - fog, rain, sun and stormy clouds. This particular day was sunny with a few clouds rolling in later that afternoon. I was headed out of the cove which your supposed to be out of by dusk and happened to look back in my rear view mirror. Luckily I was able to park my car and walk out into a field to get this shot. The two bird like nests in the R side branches of the tree are called “Witches Brooms”. There are a few things that can cause these, but usually they don’t harm the tree. I thought they added to the photo and didn’t want to take them out.

Specific Feedback

I’m pretty happy with this photo, but I would love any suggests that would improve it.

Technical Details

Sony a7r v 24-70mm @70mm
f/11
ss/1250
ISO/640
Handheld

ACR Toning
PS Cleanup
Topaz AI Denoise/Sharpen
Nik Collection 6 Contrast

2 Likes

Hey Donna!
I think you have a nice instinct here to photograph this scene as a silhouette. I don’t think the FG at the bottom adds much so you might try to crop tighter to emphasize the tree. Otherwise, I’m feeling like the right also doesn’t add a lot here except those nice clouds. If you were standing about 30 yards to the left you could have included the tree in front of all that (or fallen off of a cliff we can’t see :wink: )
Nice one!

@Matt_Payne Hey Matt, glad to see you back critiquing. I wish I could say I would have fallen off a cliff, but that would just be a lie. :slight_smile: I took the photo at this angle to get as much of the tree in the silhouette as I could. I did snap a bunch of shots, so I’ll have to look back to see if I took one with the tree farther to the rt. That ole cropping thing gets me all the time. I have gotten better, but I was way off on this one. Thanks for the reminder!! I think the repost looks much better.

1 Like

Hi Donna,

Seeing this image and knowing it’s Cade’s Cove has me itching to go back again.
The last time I was there it was pretty run down due to lack of funding for maintenance but I’ve heard it’s looking really good again.
The last trip, I was able to exit the Turkeypen Ridge Trailhead near the mid-way point of the 11 mile loop, we had to cross 3 creeks (no bridges) and go through some pretty dense forest but it was maintained well enough that we made it out in about an hour (the trail is only 8 miles long so, its slow go but lots of fun!!). We went that way because it was much quicker and easier to get to our next destination in Gatlinburg via Hwy 321.

We did camp at the cove a couple of times and that’s a lot of fun, too! You just have to hang your food and trash in a tree on a rope pulley (provided by the park) because of bear activity (you already know about that little detail if you’ve camped there before).

They have a new rule for parking anywhere in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park (including Cade’s Cove), if you park anywhere for more than 15 minutes, you have to have a Parking Tag, even if you park in a parking lot (not for residents of course but all non-residents have to have one).
It’s $15 for a week so, if you plan to go back there, don’t forget to get a Parking Tag. I think you can buy them at the ranger stations, at visitor centers and online.
It’s their way of generating money for maintenance and other costs so I don’t mind.

I don’t really have a favorite place in the cove but the John Oliver Cabin is right there at the top since you can see a huge chunk of the cove from there, especially in late fall and winter.

Your Sunset Silhouette is gorgeous!
I like the cropped version but to be honest, I really like the original as well!
Actually, I think I like the original a bit better. I completely respect other opinions and perspectives of course, but for me, the original is my personal preference. :slight_smile:

Yes, the crop does work better - well captured!

Haha no problem!
I have never intended to stop my critiques here but for some reason I no longer get emails from NPN when new posts happen. Maybe @David_Kingham can help me with that :wink:

@Merv Hi Mervin. Cade’s Cove is very well maintained now. We camped in a campground in Townsend. There we didn’t have to be concerned much with bears and it was about a mile to the Smokey entrance. We had to pay for parking when we where there. They have kiosk machines set up so you can get your ticket just before the entrance of CC. If the Turkeypen Ridge Trailhead road is the one I’m thinking of (at the entrance of the restrooms which may not have been there when you were there) is now maintained gravel. Early spring is a great time to go. Less people.

I’m keeping both the original and the cropped version. I don’t print my photos, but I do have some made into blank cards that I give as gifts. My older friends still write cards to people, my few younger friends just text. :slight_smile: The uncropped might make a better card. Thanks for your input.

@Karl_Zuzarte Thanks Karl. Glad you like it.

Donna, a tree and a sunset are always a gift. This is a beautiful example. I like the cropped version. I agree with @Matt_Payne about the foreground. I see a lot of detail in the shadows. I tried pulling up the shadows in LR and there is more than enough to add just a bit more detail. I found the green distracting but that could easily be toned down. The added detail seems to help balaance the picture. The Smokies are on my bucket list. Maybe someday.

1 Like

That’s really great to hear, Donna, thanks for that! :slight_smile:

Oops, I was thinking of a different road, the one I was on was Forge Creek Rd and that turns into Parson’s Creek Rd just past the Henry Whitehead House, this is at the opposite end from the campground, restrooms, kiosk, stables, etc… That road is still primitive and is one way (exit only).
I should have looked it up before commenting because my memory isn’t as reliable as I’d like, it was nearly 20 years ago so that’s my defense! Lol :roll_eyes:
The last time I was there was about 4 years ago, that was when it was in bad shape from little to no maintenance, probably around the time when funding for national parks were cut so heavily.

We may try to go to the cove in the fall sometime because we’re planning a trip to New England next spring (and it’s in the opposite direction from where we live :slight_smile: ).

When I was looking at the Cade’s Cove Campground Webpage for campsite openings I noticed your tree at the top of that page. I think one of the reasons I like the wider crop is because that tree is in such a large open field.
Link to Cade’s Cove Campground Webpage showing your tree>>>Your tree is at the top center of the page.
At least I “Think” it’s your tree :smiley:

I hope to get a few pictures of Black Bear and hopefully a few decent landscape pictures, if not, we’ll still enjoy the adventure. :slight_smile:

Yep, it’s the same for me when it comes to greeting cards, all of my older friends or friends my age still refer physical greeting cards but my kids prefer texting or maybe eCards if I’m lucky. Lol :slight_smile:
Great idea to create your own from your original imagery!

Thanks for the response, Donna and I hope you have a great afternoon! :slight_smile:

@Barbara_Djordjevic Thanks Barbara for your good suggestions. I’ll play around with pulling the shadows up and darkening down the green grass. I don’t get a chance to do many long shots in my area. We have dense forest and beautiful hills and waterfalls. A lone beautiful tree is hard to find. We have huge gorgeous trees, but they are usually crowded by other trees. I have been enjoying your photography. I’m not great at critiquing, but I always learn from viewing good compositions of other members.

1 Like

Yes, that is the tree. It’s the only tree in the field and it’s located at the intersection of Sparks Lane and the Loop road. I think that anyone with a camera has taken a photo of it. My photo was taken behind it as you’re leaving the park. In fact, I think the link you sent me of this tree was taken very close to the spot I took mine. Thanks for sending me that link. I hope you make it to the Smokies this summer. There were plenty of bears there this past spring. I get black bears in my back yard, so I don’t take many bear shots unless they would be extremely close and they had their heads up instead of feeding. :slight_smile:

Donna, thank you. I like it when people offer their critiques on my work, but I always fear that I might insult someone when I comment.

Most NPN members want honest critiques and would prefer the viewer to give suggestions on how to improve their photography, especially those like me who don’t have a lot of experience. I joined NPN a year ago and I’ve been told by experience photographers that I have improved over that year. I’ve improved because I pay attention to the suggestions that are given to me and I try most of them on my photos. Many of the suggestions improve my photo and I learn from that. Sometimes I stay with the original and that’s ok too. This community is very respectful when critiquing and I never feel intimated by their comments. Your photos are very good and I think you can help others grow by giving them your suggestions.

1 Like

Thank you, Donna. I agree about having others look at my work and learn how it is seen. I have blind spots and get stuck, and I have benefited in my short time here. I see this site as a gift.

1 Like