Early evening in the Smokies + 2 reposts DB Final

I was on my first photography workshop. This image was taken in late April during the Out of Chicago Smoky Mountains Conference. This event took me to a place in photography that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I have another workshop scheduled for Acadia in January. Burrrrr

This photo was taken in early evening when our group was starting to wrap up the day. I was darting around trying to get in a few more photos before it got too dark. This scene flashed in front of me and caught my eye. It was different from the water scenes I’d been taking during the day. I think this is one of my favorite shots I took away from the Smokies and it was the last shot of the day. What a wonderful experience I had there. Thanks to all the pro photographers who take time to share their skills.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any help appreciated.

Technical Details

Mostly processed in ACR and Photoshop. I used Topaz for DeNoise and Sharpening.
f/20
1/4 S
ISO1600

Hi Donna,

I think this is your first post and so I’ll start off by welcoming you to NPN! It’s great to have you here.

I’m really liking your first post too. A great start! I can see why this was one of your favorites from this outing. What I like about this is the image brings me right there - for me it captures what I think I would be experiencing walking in these woods and following the stream; listening to the sounds, enjoying the cool breeze and just being immersed in it all.

I have just a couple of suggestions that I think are pretty minor as I really like this as it’s presented. I like that you’ve framed this with the darker trunks on either side and I think there is enough detail to bring out the texture on either side. There is a brighter patch along the lower left edge that I think could be burned down as it pulls the eye a little bit. And I suppose you could experiment with lightening those trunks on either side - but not by much because I think being a little darker than the rest of the frame works nicely.

The only other thing I’m drawn to is the whitewater patch in the center of the frame. To me, the eye goes right there. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing as we often talk about having a place for the eye to rest; a focal point, an anchor, etc. You might consider darkening that a little? But then I’m not sure that needs to be. I’ll be curious to hear other’s thoughts on that.

Overall, the processing, colors, contrast, saturation all look quite good. An excellent first post!

Welcome aboard!

Lon

Donna, welcome to NPN and wow what a first post. That is a wonderfully framed composition. Nice! Lon has a couple of good suggestions there, but I’ll just sit here and enjoy the scene. Can’t wait to see more of your work.

Cheers,
David

Oh thank you Lon and David. Yes, this is my first critique ever. I finally have a little more confidence in my photos to start posting some for critique. It’s out of my comfort zone to do so, but I know it’s the only way I’m going to improve. I think dodging & burning are the 2 tools I have the hardest time using. I purchased a nice tablet and I’m trying to force myself to use it a lot more. I’ll definitely try to add your suggestions to this image and re post. Thank you so much!

I think you were right on both accounts. When I darkened the water and compared , I could really see the difference. Same with the two trees on the sides and the left section of the trail. This is exactly the help I need to improve. Thanks again.

4 Likes

Hi, Donna. Magnificent image this is! I like the solid trunks framing the photo, the large rock in the middle, and those other boulders leading to the light in the center. That splash of a small waterfall holds my eyes firmly. What an experience it must have been to be there at that time. I simply love the image.

Oh thank you, Egidio. I’m so happy you like this photo. It was a life time experience to be in the Smokies.

1 Like

Hi Donna - Wonderful first post. The luminosity is striking and well as your composition which pulled me right into the scene. I like your repost. BTW - Welcome to NPN. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Thanks for taking the time to do a little rework. I think the small change you made with the water makes a big difference. The white water still holds the attention as a resting point or anchor, but the reduced brightness makes it feel much more integrated to the overall scene.

One tip when reposting images. You can edit your original post and insert the new image. This way when a viewer clicks on the image to see the larger view you can actually click between the 2 (or more) images which makes it easy for quick comparisons. It’s fine posting as you did, but keep in mind for future posts that you can simply edit your original post, rather than replying in the thread. Also, when you edit your post, you can edit the title to say something like “Early evening in the Smokies +repost” or “RP”, +edit or something like that to indicate to folks that you’ve posted another version.

All stuff you’ll quickly get the hang of!

1 Like

I did not know about that tip. Guess I missed it in the FAQs or other sections on the site. Thanks for pointing it out. Very helpful.

Welcome to NPN, Donna! Isn’t it great that the last image taken on your trip is the one you are most fond of? It just makes you want to go back. This is a well framed image. The use of the two larger trees on the edges forces the eye to go right down the middle to the river and the splash in the water. Framing the image this way really makes me feel like I’m there and actually experiencing the forest with no distractions on the edges to draw me back out.
I do like your repost which reduces the brightest spot in the splash. I think you could also burn the foreground dirt/rocks leading to the water, particularly at the bottom and around the edges making a brighter path to the water. I’m at work or I’d show you what I mean. Sorry about that. When I get home, I’ll try and remember to do this one for you.
The colors look really natural and your processing looks great. Great first post. Really looking forward to more of your work Donna.

I’ll add my welcome, Donna! You have a really good eye and the presence of mind to get the shot when everyone else was packing it in. I love the composition with the darker trees on the sides and the subdued rocks at the top – and just enough of them included, I think. I’ll echo @David_Haynes’ suggestion about a burn from the bottom – for me, a gradient burn, with care not to overdo the tree bases.

Looking forward to more of your work!

Thanks David & Diane. I re-posted the image & did what you both suggested. I hope I darkened and lighten enough. It would seem that DB would be so easy, but I struggle with it.

I think it’s a good change but without the original I can’t be sure. It’s always nice to see the adjustment of a repost by just editing the OP and adding the new version in addition to the original – then people can scroll between the 2 versions and see changes better. Much of our editing is subtle and hard to see in separate posts. The images don’t have to be next to one another in the text box, just in the same post, so you can add comments as to what changed.

1 Like

Hmmm, I think I did add the repost. Maybe I did it wrong again. The repost is below the text of the initial image. I couldn’t figure out how to get it directly below the first image. Is there a way to do that?

1 Like

Apologies – you did!! Where was my brain? I think I was looking at the post that was down a few, with just one image in it – maybe the second version. (To get the second picture just below the first, use the post like a word processor and click where you want to add the image, like you would for text.)

I’m being interrupted – will come back and look asap.

Hi Donna. Welcome to NPN. What an engaging image. I love the composition. The framing by the trees on the sides and how it repeats again a little further in. It draws me into the scene. The soft subdued green and brown colours also give it a calming relaxed vibe. Makes me wish I was there.

Thanks Andre, I’m so happy you like this image. The Smokies was an incredible place to photograph and just be.

1 Like

OK – I’m back for a minute. I grabbed the original (I think) and did a gradient burn from the bottom and brushed most of it off the bases of the 2 side trees. Also darkened the light area on the trunk on the left edge. I like the darkening of the bright part of the water in the second post, but just wanted to concentrate here on the gradient burn at the base. I might have gone even a little further.

Welcome to NPN. Diane’s rework has really made a positive difference. One minor point. Do you see that bright and slightly bluish small area at the upper right near the frame? Do you find it as noticeable as I do? Or is it my imagination? I would do something about that.