The Cove

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the fall colors and the depth , would like to see more detail

Creative direction

to see more detail I reckon is what I’m looking for

Specific Feedback

Technical

Technical Details

F 16 S 0.6 ISO 100

Description

I was driving through Cades Cove Tenn awhile back and pulled over to get a drink out of my cooler and I looked across this huge pasture and seen these two beautiful trees. I pulled out my Sony 100/400 mm but at 400mm it still wasn’t enough . So I went into my settings in my camera and changed it to crop mode which gave me 600mm and that was enough to get the shot I was looking for

1 Like

This has a painterly feel to it, which is quite nice. The colors are nicely saturated without being over the top and the composition is very nice. I would expect it to be a little more detailed/sharp but maybe it was at such a distance that the atmosphere between you and the subject caused it to lose some clarity. Regardless, it’s quite beautiful.

Hi William, the soft colors and structure of the trees are the essence here for me. If I am at a telephoto of approx 600mm, I am not expecting sharp crisp details at this distance from my subject, especially of leaves and branches. You would have to physically get get much closer to your subject. The composition is balanced enough but some minor items jump out. The grass foreground looks a little tilted (could be me though). The red tree has a trunk coming out of the crown and seems odd and could be addressed withe most processing software. The yellow tree seems too cut off on the right side The distant light in center of the image is beautiful. I think using more foreground and cropping the top of the trees giving a tighter image of the branch structures. might get you what you want without the sharpness. A very nice pull off to the side of the road shot.

This is a beautiful photo that symbolizes autumn.
I also like the artistic style!

I think the fact that the image is slightly soft actually works well for it, It goes with the overall color palette.