Autumn Tree

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was out in what is known as Big Ivy, a part of the Pisgah National Forest north of Asheville. It was a beautiful day! We went to photograph a favorite waterfall (Walker Falls) in the area. This tree was nearby and caught my attention. I loved the red leaves peeking out through the other trees in the process of changing color.

Specific Feedback

I’ll appreciate your thoughts! Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

This is a pano created using my 13 ProMax iPhone. I love the pano feature! It worked well in this case, but not so much in a couple of others that I shot. FYI — If you’re shooting trees in bright sunlight, you might begin the process at the top — set the exposure there then come down. I did the opposite and ended up with almost muddy leaves that lacked definition. This image was on the verge of this, but I think survived! PS Using the top-down approach, even if the base is dark, those shadows can be opened up, which is easier than trying to rescue muddy-looking leaves! I’m planning to do more experimenting with this tomorrow.

2 Likes

Beautiful composition, Susanna. I like the way the reds are partly concealed by branches at the top.

The first time I looked at this one I had my doubts about the hue of the reds. Now that I’ve looked again, I’m not sure why I had a problem with it. It looks fine.

Thanks so much, Don!

I really like the elongated format for this image. I think it works well for these tall thin trees. I’m not a fan of the horizontal branch near the top. If I crop it and everything above it off then I still have a tall narrow image but it’s more appealing to me.