Going With The Flow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was captured on a foggy rainy day in October of 2022 along the banks of the Susquehanna River. When I originally spotted this scene there was more fog in the BG and there was better separation between the trees on the rocks and the far shoreline. By the time I got down to where I wanted to setup the fog had thinned a little. I do not know how much appeal this image will have, but I thought I would put it out there and see what other folks thought.

To me this scene is a testament about survival as I am always amazed how nature can gain a foothold somewhere and maintain their tenuous position against long odds. These trees are not far down river from the Conowingo Dam and I don’t know how often they get flooded, but I am assuming that the lean is from years of water flow when the gates are opened. A couple of gates were open while I was hiking along the banks of the river and the sense of motion in the water seems to accentuate the lean of the trees.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave your thoughts.

Specific Feedback

All C&C is appreciated and welcomed.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 200mm, F11 @1/40 sec, ISO 100, Kase Wolverine magnetic CPL, tripod and cable release.

Oh I like it Ed; it appeals to me a lot. Those foreground trees have such texture and character, and the splashes of fall color really add for my tastes. I love the way the muted background supports the trees on the island, and I think it works well to speak to the survival you note.

I do think a little bit of a crop would accentuate those amazing foreground trees more, and if you did want to better separate the background you could throw in some “pretend” fog. I think that clarifying the lower portion a tad could also add to that effect. Here’s a very rough stab at the ideas:

2 Likes

Ed, I see here a painterly masterpiece !! Especially the way those trees bend with the river. Visually they make the river flow. I think the cropping John suggests can help . Great work.
Ben

1 Like

This reminds me of the river I live on and the dams that are nearby. It’s gorgeous and I often have the same sense of wonder at the tenacity of nature in the face of what we think of as harsh conditions. These trees are terrific and I love the rocky foundation that holds them.

So I had a bit of a go with it in Photoshop, just enhancing the fog and the isolation by removing some of the bright foreground water. I wish there was a bit more canvas on either end to play with, but you get the idea. All I did was crop and then do a bg selection in ACR and hit it with a touch of whites and exposure, lifted shadows and lowered dehaze. Then duplicate and invert and add some texture and clarity. In the end I used the Soft Pop action in the TK8 panel. It’s gorgeous. That’s a river I’d like to spend time with someday.

2 Likes

I have this peculiar tendency to include more of the foreground in a reflection shot, even when the reflection is obscure. I also like to set the camera right down at water level. This is a magnificent scene and well captured. I do think that it would look better with the subject more off center, either like the others have suggested or the way I cropped this and enhanced the reflected colors a bit

1 Like

Hi Ed, you have received lots of suggestions for cropping this image, I’ll just say that maybe taking some off the water would move the island less centered. That’s the only change I wold make. It’s an incredible image and technically awesome. Well done.

2 Likes

Many thanks everyone @John_Williams, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Kris_Smith, @Paul_Holdorf and @David_Bostock for your thoughtful C&C as it is always appreciated. I am glad that everyone enjoys the image as much as I do. I did not know how people would react because it is not a wow image, but one that you need to study a little. I had already cropped the scene because the 200mm was not long enough; 300 would have been good I think. It appears that I should have taken it a little farther as I do like all the crops suggested.

@John_Williams : Thanks for taking the time to do a rework. I really like the crop as that seems to emphasize the movement of the river even more.
@Kris_Smith : I appreciate you doing a rework. The separation you were able to achieve looks great.
@Paul_Holdorf : Thank you for taking a moment and doing the rework. I had not thought of that crop, but it works too. Great to have some options to ponder.

1 Like

Glad it was ok with you. Sometimes I just like to experiment with images (mine included) just to see what can be done. Yours is a beauty.

1 Like

Ed this image certainly captures a serene and somewhat introspective mood, reflecting the resilience and adaptability of nature. The soft, diffuse light due to the foggy conditions helps to convey a sense of tranquility and the passage of time, which is punctuated by the autumnal colors. The contrast between the warm, vivid leaves and the cool, subdued background provides a beautiful focal point that draws the eye. This contrast not only enhances the visual appeal but also underscores the theme of survival and resilience that Ed mentioned.

There is merit to the suggestion of cropping some of the water. The expanse of water in the foreground doesn’t contribute much to the narrative of the trees’ survival or to the overall composition. By cropping the water slightly, it could bring the viewer’s attention more directly to the trees, enhancing the visual storytelling. A tighter crop could create a more compelling composition that still maintains the balance between the elements within the frame.

In terms of post-processing, increasing the clarity or sharpness of the trees could help them stand out against the softer background, further emphasizing their rugged existence. A subtle vignette could also be added to lead the viewer’s eye towards the center and highlight the trees. Adjusting the contrast and saturation, particularly on the trees with autumn leaves, may also help to convey the image’s mood more powerfully without undermining the soft atmosphere created by the foggy conditions. Nice one Ed!