Going With The Flow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I spotted this scene while visiting Susquehanna SP, MD during the fall season. It was a rainy drizzly day which made for some wonderful shooting conditions. When I first noticed it there was more fog and mist in the BG trees, but by the time I got down to the edge of the river and got set up it had dissipated somewhat. The bent over trees were what originally caught my eye so I cropped the image to emphasize the implied movement in the water so it would compliment the leaning trees.

I am always amazed with the tenacity that trees posses as they survive in the most unusual places.

Specific Feedback

I appreciate those taking a moment to leave your thoughts so anything you notice is appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 200 mm, f 11 @ 1/40 sec, ISO 100, Kase magnetic CPL, cable release & tripod.

I really like the movement of the water and the mystery of the trees in the background. I find myself looking for more clarity of the closer trees/colors

Ed, this is one I would like to hang on my wall. There is an urgency in the implied movement in the horizontal lines in the water and the bent trees. The rocks anchor that movement but add to the tension. On the other hand, the BG is soft, ethereal, and peaceful. The yellows and oranges throughout keep the eye moving. That orange tree to the right is almost pulling the others downstream. I love every bit of it. One tiny nit for me is the log just above the rocks on the right. I would remove it all together.

Ed, my first though was that I’ve seen scenes like this along the Potomac. Since the geology of the two rivers is so similar that makes sense…at least to me. The way the fog lets the mid-ground trees stand out even as the distant slopes mimic the colors and shapes looks great. It’s also clear that flood waters push these trees around regularly.

Lovely!! Enough fog remained – the BG trees are a gorgeous backdrop for the very interesting FG ones. I’m wondering if less water would work – just enough to show there was a river. Or at least a gradient burn from the bottom?

Makes me want to just “mess around with boats!” Lovely.

Beautiful, Ed. I actually think it’s better that the fog did lift a little. It still adds a nice separation from the FG while still imparting a nice misty glow to the BG. My only small nit is the fallen log in the LR BG.
:vulcan_salute:

Thanks everyone @delton, @Barbara_Djordjevic, @Mark_Seaver, @Diane_Miller, @JohnSnell and @Michael_Lowe for your thoughts on this one; always appreciated. This is an image that has really grown on me and is one of my favorites from last year; I just love the story it tells.

@Barbara_Djordjevic and @Michael_Lowe : That fallen tree definitely has to go. Thanks for picking that out.

@Diane_Miller : I will play around with your suggestion and see how it turns out.

@Mark_Seaver : I am not sure how often they open the gates of the Conowingo Dam; which is not far upriver from this location; but it definitely has sculpted the trees.