Rollin' & Tumblin'

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I do a lot of stream and river photography, but this one stands out somewhat since it shows the sweep of the water’s course a ways from the side rather than from the edge or the middle. When I explored this nature preserve for the first time, I thought I’d be a frequent visitor, but it turned out to be my last full year in NH.

Specific Feedback

So I didn’t pre-process this for the challenge. It’s my original edit from 2014. Thoughts? I see issues, but I’ll wait for more feedback. It’s interesting the phases we go through with our editing and how much we see once we understand more about software, technique and presentation. Plus tastes change, right? I may have other compositions as well, but I haven’t looked.

Technical Details

Tripod & probably a CPL

Lightroom for all processing including this crop and probably the usual S-curve, clarity & sharpening.

1 Like

I really love this picture and was drawn to it right away. I love the dreamy look of the water (you got the long exposure just right for my taste) and the reds creates so much life to the picture it is great. What did bother me a little is that I am looking at the river going both sides and kept looking right and left not sure where to go. I think if you crop a little more on the left side to create a boundary with the large rock the viewer will have an easier time choosing where to go. I also felt a little like an outsider looking at the stream from above and not “invited” in. I think that shooting from a lower angle or going deeper so the front rocks are not a barrier can really help with that. I felt like I really want to go in a play in this wonder place but don’t have a way in… :grinning: But I love these types of pictures and places that really makes you want to be there too. so thanks.

Kristen, I would love to visit this spot. This picture certainly captures the beauty of a woodland stream. I am drawn to the curve of the stream and the foreground rocks that lead my eye toward the sunny green foliage in the background. Like @tamar-aharony I keep searching for a point of interest to hold my eye for a moment. The far left with the large rock and very bright water seem to be the strongest elements. I wonder if aggressive cropping to the left to eliminate the large rock and at the bottom to maintain the ratio of the photo would then take the eye to that beautiful distance and make me want to explore further up the creek. Thanks for going into your archives and sharing this moment with us.

Unlike @tamar-aharony and @Barbara_Djordjevic I wouldn’t crop it, but would darken the water and rocks at lower left and apply a small bit of CCW rotation.