A Walk in the Park

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A Walk in the Park

Take a little walk with me through the evergreen forest. It is a cool, foggy September morning. Everywhere you look, there is evidence of the nourishing rain that had fallen the night before. The delicate fronds of ferns hold droplets of water like crystals on the ends of a living chandelier. They shimmer in the gentle breeze as wisps of fog drift by. Occasionally a ray of sunshine will pierce the fog and send warm shafts of light waltzing through the forest. Its like someone’s child is playing with the light switch. As the rays of life sustaining brilliance cross paths with the ferns, every single drop of water lights up and gives back a little ray of its own light. Far overhead, adding to the dramatic effect of the light, are towering Cedar Trees.

The sunlight has begun to heat up the ground. The aroma of the trees themselves is more pleasant than you can imagine, but even the decaying remains of trees, branches, needles, and plants provides a rich experience as we push on through to our goal. Every once in a while, there is a large boulder left behind by the great rivers of ice that once pushed through here. Occasionally the seed of a tree will find purchase in a fracture line in the rock and begin its resilient life there. As the tree ages its roots grow around the outside of the rock and finally find the rich soil they are looking for. It is as if a gardener passed the time one day by braiding the roots of the tree and carefully pulled them down to the ground.

Now we begin to hear the gentle roar of our destination. Eons of melting snow have patiently created a masterpiece in solid stone as a canyon of unbelievable beauty opens up before us. The creek causes an opening in the forest canopy and the view it exposes is stunning. Water cascades through this canyon alternating between deep calm turquoise pools and towers of raging white waterfalls. As if daring the elements to harm it, a young Cedar tree perches on the edge of the canyon. It is not alone, as mosses cover the ledge is sits on. More shades of green than you thought possible flood your field of view. Let’s just sit here for a minute and feel the mist blow against our faces. Become mesmerized by the flow of the water as we watch its ceaseless flow. Breathe deeply of the forest scented air that is both cool and warm at the same time. Listen to the sounds around you. Only in places like this, can your ears be filled concurrently with both sound and silence. Take your time. I don’t know about you, but there’s no place I’d rather be right now.

Glacier National Park, Avalanche Gorge, September 2014

Specific Feedback

This is a pretty old image. I shot it in 2012 with an old Nikon D5100. I don’t think I even had a filter on it back then, but I just don’t remember! I know I didn’t have a polarizer on because I had to remove quite a few bright highlights on the wet rocks. I’ve cropped it a bit tight at the top because there was a distracting fallen tree up there. I had to take a lot of shots until I got one where the tree hadn’t been moving. Of 20 or so shots, only in this one was the tree sharp.

Technical Details

Nikon D5100
Nikon 18-70 f3.5-4.5
ISO 100, f/9, 1/2 second, 70mm

I used a number of masks in Lightroom to change the exposure on the mosses, and reduce highlights in areas on the wet rocks. I’ve selectively sharpened the little tree and slid a few of the HSL sliders this way and that.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Thank you for taking me along on your adventure Paul. This is so tranquil and inviting. Great work in post processing, although you got it right to start with to get this outcome. Wonderful smooth green and white water, wonderful colorful rocks, excellent little tree, and nice emphasis on the filter lit green mosses. :+1:

Paul, a wonderful intimate portraiture of this small evergreen. This scene would be difficult under the best of conditions with the rushing water, low light and air movement. I can truly appreciate the challenge to come away with this as nice as presented here… :cowboy_hat_face:
As a side note, gosh I think I was in this area oh so many years ago now. Your story took me back to at least a revisit to GNP… :+1:

1 Like

Paul at first I thought to suggest this beautiful image should be cropped on top to force an even greater focus on the young tree against the white water. But then I realized you have achieved three different planes by including the lit stream above, which gives this issue a terrific depth which would be lost if the top was gone. I have a shot of a driftwood log trapped in a cascade, very nice, but flat because of the crop I chose. I will take this as a lesson in slowing down and considering wider compositions when shooting creeks and rivers. Also, shoot in low light for rich color.

1 Like

Paul the vivid detail you’ve captured in this image is simply breathtaking. I particularly love the contrast between the soft, fluid motion of the waterfall and the crisp, still young cedar tree. It seems like a serene moment frozen in time, yet dynamically alive with the flowing water.

The positioning of the cedar tree against the waterfall is a testament to your keen eye for framing and perspective. It draws the viewer’s eye not just to the tree but also to the textures and shades around it, creating a layered narrative about survival and resilience in nature.

Regarding the lighting and color, the absence of a polarizer might have been a blessing in disguise. The image avoids looking overly manipulated, presenting a natural range of tones that feel authentic and inviting. The lighting, even without direct sunlight, enhances the moss’s vibrant greens and the water’s soothing blues and whites, which speak to the image’s overall mood of tranquility and the purity of untouched wilderness.

This photograph not only captures a moment but also tells a story of enduring natural beauty. Its authenticity makes me feel as though I’m standing right there with you. Well done on capturing such a compelling scene with your trusty Nikon D5100. It goes to show that the photographer’s vision holds the true magic, beyond any gear.

1 Like

Paul, this is a lovey, intimate look. I assume you’ve processed this to show what you saw, but I do wonder about slightly brightening the entire view. The small tree is set off well by the falling water. I would also like to see more in that pool of darker green/blue water (upper left). The greens and red of Glacier’s rocks and waters are always special…I need to get back there…

1 Like

Interstesting that you say that about the brightness. When looking at the image on here, it does seem a bit dark to me too. I’ll go back and see how it looks lighter. Thanks for the comments.

Thank you @Saundie @james7 @Paul_Breitkreuz @Ed_Williams for all these very kind responses. It was a tricky spot to get this composition on for sure. I had the tripod set up on a ledge below the canyon rim that was too slippery for me to stand on. I kept one hand on the tripod and and one on the shutter release while kneeling and leaning down a bit!