A walk in the rain

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Hiking on a rainy day during a quick visit to Olympic National Park a few weeks ago. I was wearing my gigantic and cumbersome ankle brace for the very first time so I felt a bit like a red leaf in a green forest.

Specific Feedback

A different type of fairy forest feel than I’ve done before. How do the colors seem? Is the red (or the bright green) too saturated?

Technical Details

Canon EOS RP + RF24-105 @105 mm
1/100 s, f/8.0, ISO 800

A fun little slice and that green certainly is interesting. I love moss. Often patting it as I walk through the woods. Especially if sporophytes are present. So I get the attraction, but if the leaf was your intended focal point, why so small in the frame? Lately in the field I have a mantra going in my head about finding the heart of an image and honing in on just that - cutting away extraneous parts until I have the very thing that stopped me. There might be something else here I’m not seeing, but that’s my initial thought - I really want to see that leaf and I can’t.

Oh and yes, it seems a tad bright for this kind of scene which is usually darker due to the canopy overhead. Just my experience.

@Kris_Smith , Thanks for your comments! Yeah, the moss is spongy and inviting of a pet. We don’t have much in Colorado, so it’s fun for me to visit wetter climates for it and all the other aspects of the different ecosystem.

Interesting that the leaf seems too small. I guess I framed it on a big monitor. Now that you point it out, I see that it doesn’t read well in a thumbnail or on a phone. Thanks! I’ll see what I can do with more cropping.

Another thing that I saw (but clearly didn’t emphasize enough) is the aqua colored water on the lower left, which partly guided my crop. Maybe I need to decide between it and the red leaf as the star of the show? Or emphasize the aqua somehow so it has a more equivalent weight to the leaf?

Thanks also for the idea about the lighter green being too bright. I see that it also detracts from my aqua just by tonality, another reason to tone down the bright green.