In the gloom of day.

original

cropped

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In the deep shade on a rainy day along Thunder Knob Trail, North Cascades, WA, last October.

Specific Feedback

Seeking any and all advice and comments. Thanks in advance.

Please view the large image!

Technical Details

Canon R7, 1/30 s, f/9, ISO 4000, EF 24-105mm f/4 @ 24 mm, CPL.
Raw file processed in LRClassic and Topaz Photo AI. TK resize/sharpening for web.

3 Likes

Hey Ronald. I really appreciate this image. I sure hope to get to the Pacific NW soon!

One thing I would consider is potentially a square crop with the very top and bottom removed. It would help emphasize the curve of the mossy branch and the line of leaves but would also remove some of the out of focus areas blending with the bright leaves at the top. Just an idea but I think it would keep the viewer pulled into the subject a bit more. Processing is really good. I like how dark but detailed the shadows are and the leaves just pop off from them.

Thank you, @David_Wallace, for your crop suggestion. I’ll do just that.

I will have to second the crop suggestion from @David_Wallace on this lovely scene Ronald. The crop distilled the image down to just the elements that it needed. The subdued light is wonderful as are the shades of green in the image. Beautifully done.

Ronald,

Wonderful composition and great job in pulling out some “order from the choas”; which is always a challenge in these deep forest scenes.

I actually quite like the image as presented (the crop works too.) The reason I like is because bothe the lower branch and the moss covered root draw the eye in to the frame. If I were to crop, I might actually crop slightly from the top.

Exposure, color/sat all look excellent to me. I have no nits or suggestions. Beautiful!

Lon