Feelers.

modified

original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Looking across Campbell Lake near Pipestone Canyon, WA.

Specific Feedback

Seeking any and all advice and comments. Thanks in advance.

Please view the large image!

Technical Details

Canon R7, 1/160 s, f/6.3, ISO 800, EF 24-105mm f/4 @ 105 mm, CPL.
Raw file processed in LRClassic and Topaz Photo AI. TK resize/sharpening for web.

Ronald, I always like images like this that layer the interest, and I counted four distinct layers for the eye to rest on. Also like that you didn’t try to remove the sage slope above the shrubbery because it gives a sense of place. I noticed your aperture is pretty wide and your ISO fairly high, which I think combined to cause a bit of focus drop-off starting with the willows. The water and the mat of silvery stems seem good and sharp, but I would have liked to see a little more clarity in the yellow leaves and the willows. Did your Photo AI processing also include a bit of noise reduction? One actual quibble: In the upper right corner, there is a curved, gray-colored something (maybe a sagebrush root?) that keeps grabbing my eye at the larger sizes. You may want to remove that. On the other hand, I keep expecting an otter to pop out from under that mat of silvery stems!!

I quite like this scene you captured here Ronald. I too think it needs to be viewed large to really appreciate all the subtle details and colors on the lake bank. The subdued light is gorgeous and perfect for this image as is the layering. I only have one very small suggestion and that would be to clone out the one highlight on the water toward the LRC. Beautifully done!

Thank you @Denise_Dethlefsen and @Ed_Lowe for your comments. The funny root thing and the bright spot are gone, and I’ve increased the sharpening, but at this resolution that’s not too visible.

Looks good; I like the small tweaks Ronald.

Ronald,

I can see the layers that Denise refers to, but for me, this is all about textures, color and creating order from chaos. The stark, dried, winter, gray whatever grasses at the bottom anchor the scene for me - and interesting because they are near black & white, yet I see this about a range of color and texture…

I agree the slope behind is important for context - but also for color and texture - and layers. If I were to suggest anything, that would be a crop up from the bottom edge to just about where the silvery reflections start. the rest of the water/reflection I don’t think add to the scene.

I also feel like this has a bit of Orton effect, which I think works really well - and doesn’t matter if it was applied, or just how this turned out. I think it works beautifully!

Lon