Caught.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Larch in the North Cascades last month. From the Maple Pass Trail looking across Lake Ann.

Specific Feedback

Seeking any and all advice and comments. Thanks in advance.

Please view the large image!

Technical Details

Canon R7, 1/200 s, f/6.3, ISO 1250, EF 24-105mm f/4 @ 105 mm, CPL, HH.

1 Like

Great capture. I’m always on the lookout for this kind of opportunity. In my view, a square crop with the bottom 1/4th of the frame trimmed off would emphasize the brighter, visually interesting cliffs towering over the subject tree. The tree is nicely placed in the composition, and set off by its surrounding dark conifers.

Hi Ronald.

Very nice image. I like the diagonals in the rocks above and below the tree. Great timing for the capture. I agree with @james7 that you could crop in a bit more and still maintain the good qualities of the image.

Thank you @james7 and @Cameron_Wilcox for you cropping suggestion. I like it, although I would miss the curve of the top of the rock fall below.

Hey Ron – So I got the photo up on the screen again and rolled my chair back a few feet. I now see the tree, dark backdrop and lower slope as a single visual element, almost like the rocks below the tree are a reflection in water. Also, the lower area looks brighter to me from a distance, setting off the darker areas between top and bottom of frame. All that said, I like the original composition more now, even if the crop would also work. Agree you’d lose something valuable in that lower area – the sensor picked up a lot of subtle color variations.

I like that as well and the angles of those rocks and the angles in the cliff above the trees. I was thinking about maybe the upper left corner.

Ronald, I’m impressed with your find of a small spotlight on those three Larch (I assume) trees. They jump out well from the rocks and trees of the surroundings, even as your comp. show off the terrain well.