Between showers

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

So I’ve been in NH on a trip back to see family and friends, but before that gets going I’ve had a few days to myself. Unfortunately it’s been quite unsettled and rainy, but by sticking close to the parking areas where I’ve walked, I have been able to stay pretty dry.

This was nearly the last photo I took today as I heard thunder rolling close. It speaks to me of the wet woodland I’d spent time in and the lush green of the different plants in the understory. The vine caught my attention first, but then the spray of ferns and leaves below made for a great foundation. Plus it’s got that lovely granite boulder which are everywhere - they don’t call it The Granite State for nothing.

Specific Feedback

So part of my challenge for this trip is my minimal kit - just two lenses, my G9, batteries and a set of extension tubes. I bought a 2 lb bag of rice to use as a ground support for macros and microscapes, but anything not at ground level had to be handheld. Mostly good, but somewhat of a compromise sometimes. Thoughts on whether I pulled this one off?

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for a crop and a lot of messing with sliders so the luminosity felt more balanced. A touch of wb adjustment and Topaz Sharpen AI to bring up some detail and remove noise. Then Ps for distraction removal and some dodging and burning with masks using the TK8 panel. Also blurred the far background a little.

Very pleasing arrangement of components. There may be a green cast overall, but I’m not sure.

This is one of those “sure wish I was there,” Kris. Especially with 100 degree dry weather we’ve been having lately. I am totally enjoying the cool feeling you’ve captured with the raindrops dripping from the various leaves. Also like how the fern fronds pull my eyes right into the scene and allow me to just rest there on that mossy rock. Looks like your “minimal kit” is working!

Very nicely done, Kris. I like how the ferns point to the Virginia Creeper vine. It looks like a rainy day. The moss on that beautiful, giant boulder add a nice touch. I think you pulled it off.

Thanks @Ronald_Murphy, @linda_mellor & @Donna_Callais - glad you see what I saw - it was raining off and on for the days I shot so it was very wet and rained again within minutes of taking this. I didn’t want to get too much closer because the V.C. wasn’t the only vine around - tons of poison ivy!!!

1 Like