Bathed

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Mountain Laurel lines most trails in the Florence Tarr Nature Preserve - it wasn’t at its peak bloom, but enough remained to make dodging rain showers worth it. If I still lived in NH I’d visit this preserve all the time and I was bummed that it rained so much that I couldn’t get to all of it because I needed to dash back to the car when thunder neared.

Specific Feedback

Trying to convey the atmosphere and the profusion and dominance of Mountain Laurel in this area. Any ideas for improvement welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for a lot of work with masking to manage luminosity to guide the eye and also to give you the sense of threatening rain. Zero messing with color adjustments - the greens and oranges were saturated literally and so didn’t need any help. Lens correction & Transform to fix geometry. Denoise AI action & sharpening w/some texture.

3 Likes

Hi Kris, I think you achieved your goal of conveying the abundance of Mountain Laurel in the area. I love the vibrant greens and the trail going through. I might suggest a second version where you do a square crop keeping the entire right side to highlight the flowers in front of the tree and still keeping the trail. Really nice shot.

Thanks @claudia1 - glad you think it achieves some idea of the rainy conditions and the swaths of Mountain Laurel. Interesting idea for a crop that I will have to try as I go through the rest of the photos. I kicked it around with this one and find that the trunk with flowers has too much weight for a truncated trail to balance. It was a good exercise though and keeps my options open!

Here is a different frame with the square crop -

Not bad at all. I didn’t go quite as dark with the processing for this one. Thoughts?

I quite like this, Kris. The trail that disappears in the bushes add a lot of mystery and the flowers on the right edge really help soften the visually heavy tree trunk. The only thing I find a tiny bit distracting is the bare patch of dirt on the trail.

Thanks @Tom_Nevesely - it’s a lovely trail that winds and wends, but the bare patch is what it is. Thought about cloning in some needles, but decided to leave it.

Kris, I quite like this crop. It feels balanced and the flowers near the tree lead your eye to the path which adds a bit of mystery. Well done.

1 Like