Grizzly Cubs

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

During the most recent iteration of my spring Yellowstone tour, I set a major goal early on. A well-known grizzly sow had been seen off and on with three new cubs. This bear is known for frequenting areas near the road earlier in May before disappearing into the park interior for the rest of the summer. In this case, she showed up a bit late, and all three of these cubs were still alive (grizzly cub mortality is fairly high, statistically), so we had a rare opportunity to track them down at this point in early June.

Lo and behold, we found them on the very first morning out. It was dark and foggy when we first came upon them, but over the next hour conditions lightened (though it remained a bit hazy). It was a real treat watching this trio in action. In general, the hillside they were on was pretty messy with deadfall and even the remains of some landscape restoration done by the park service. I have a slight nit with the bright patch of sky peeking behind the top of this fallen log, but in general this was probably the cleanest spot during our entire encounter.

Max

Technical Details

Canon R5
Canon 600mm + 1.4x
ISO 2500
1/640th
f/5.6

Oh, how cute they are, Max! How did you talk them into posing so nicely for you??? Mama bear just might want a large print for her den. Perfect. I can’t think of a think to improve it.

I also wanted to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed your article in Nature Vision Magazine. It is exactly how I feel. It is the Moment, and to share that Moment with other photographers is even better. Then when I look at the photo later I remember that Moment. Great job!

1 Like

We can even see six paws 'n claws! The sky is very very minor and could easily be cloned out. Great shot.

1 Like

I also wanted to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed your article in Nature Vision Magazine.

Shirley, thank you! I’m glad that special feeling resonates with others as well. :grinning:

1 Like

I like to pretend that I don’t want to be one of the many photographers chasing bears and getting the same images as everyone else there did, BUT, this image is just incredible and not anything close to others I’ve seen of this trio. Kudos on the patience to get into position and the understanding of when to push the button. Really amazing image!

2 Likes

This is so cute and I find their stare mesmerising!
If this was mine, I would tone down the tree trunk, also reducing its contrast selectively so that it doesn’t compete with the subject.
Cheers :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

I understand the sentiment. I spend relatively little time on the west side of the park, and haven’t obsessed over the bears like many of my peers (I may be one of the only GYE regulars who has never seen 399). That said, these occasional opportunities certainly are special. There’s nothing like seeing young bear cubs and their off-the-charts energy!

1 Like

What a grand shot, Max. How often would anyone happen on a shot like this! It makes me smile. The only suggestion I have is very small, but I find that the little cub’s face on the far rt. seems a little to bright. Maybe just a small amount of dodging could tone the brightness down some. I say hang it!

I find that the little cub’s face on the far rt. seems a little to bright.

Interesting observation, Donna. In case there’s any confusion, these cubs do have fur that grows in different tones. So this one naturally had more blonde than its siblings. I believe that darkening it would sort of reduce the accuracy of the presentation in this case (and at least on my monitor, the highlights don’t appear blown out).

Hello Max, what a gorgeous photo! Very endearing and eye catching!
My first thought when opening it, was that it seemed a bit too bright for me and I also see a faint magenta cast. The I read the comments and I think it would be worth while reprocessing it a bit, at least reducing the hightlights some. Or even darkening the entire picture. But it’s your photo, your view, your experience and feeling about the photo that matters in the end. Beautiful whichever way.
grtz, Ingrid.

1 Like

What an opportune moment - well captured
As Rajput suggests, I think your 3 cuties will stand out better with decreasing the exposure / highlights of the tree itself - though this is a nice trunk!

1 Like

This is a real classic with that perfect stump for a backdrop. You could not find a better place for the cubs to pose. I think the light is ideal and good detail.

1 Like