Growth

Although the dates are covered by the tree are not visible, the nearby head stones show dates of death in late 1890s and early 1900s.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
5D IV; 24/70 @40; ISO 640; 1/250th; 7.1; WB: auto

1 Like

Nice find. In my years of cemetery work I always liked finding scenes like this - reminded me of the Kite-eating that tormented Charlie Brown. Nature takes back.

Since I don’t have the color version of this, I won’t try an edit suggestion, but here it is. If the stone itself is quite blue, you could mess with the color slider and see if you could darken it down a little and also lighten the surrounding wood. That way it would stand out a bit clearer. Or if the stone doesn’t have a lot of blue, find a way to separate it just a little from the tree. Not too much because the subsuming is the thing on display here.

Jim, this is a great, very gnarly tree bottom. You’ve got a fine mix of shapes and textures. The bit of headstone peeking out is an outstanding addition, that adds an entire new chapter to the story shown here. I think a bit of burning-in along the top edge would be good. Then if you wanted to let the headstone draw a bit more attention, your could lightly dodge it. As presented, it makes a neat surprise.

@Kris_Smith @Mark_Seaver Thank you for the comments and suggestions.