Tree HooDoo

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’m sure many have seen or photographed this location in the past. Out of many plants and trees that I’ve witnessed growing out of rock or sandstone formations this one is at the top of the list for me at least. Photographed during a summer sunset cycle. Just a tiny pine hanging on as best it can.

Specific Feedback

ANY

Technical Details

Mamiya RB67 ProSD - Mamiya “C” 90mm lens - Velvia 50
Square crop from original vertical image.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

I know that spot and that tree Paul. Your perspective is really good with the little tree taking the top spot. I love the details, patterns, textures and the colors in the rocks. That little tree looks like it has struggled to survive but is persevering and thriving. This has a lot of character.

1 Like

Paul, that is one tenacious tree. It’s quite a sight as “flying” from that tower of stone. Definitely leaves you wondering about how it got started and the forces that have created its “flag waving” shape.

1 Like

@Ed_Williams @Mark_Seaver as always, I sincerely appreciate the review and comments… :+1:
Years after I’d photographed this scene, I had a bit of a scare here. As I returned I saw a group of younger generation types encircling the site and I did not see the small tree at first. I freaked out thinking they’d just cut the small tree off and were taking it all in. However, not the case and all was well when I left the scene. My recoil comes from seeing horrific damage here and there at various NP locations and it’s just heartbreaking to witness the damage first hand… :rage:

1 Like

Paul, your reaction reminds me of the feelings expressed when a branch was cut off the Wanaka Lake Willow, an icon for photographers on the South Island of New Zealand. Unfortunately, it did not end as your experience did. This is a wonderful tribute to the tenacity of nature. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Barbara, sadly I’ve had to report graffiti twice now with locations in Joshua Tree NP. The damage from one was minor thankfully as it was remote. It was some kind of colored smoke bombs from a suspected “gender reveal” event. The other was blatant spray painting of rocks in plain site of the main roadway thru the park… :rage: