Go With The Flow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this poor pine tree growing out of a crack in a rock along the Dana river in YNP. The ebb & flow of the rapids had punished this tree over time and it was leaning as a result and just trying to survive the violent overflow at times.
I was not interested in any detail from the river rapids as it was violent and the deep forested light was dim at best.

Specific Feedback

ANY

Technical Details

Mamiya RB67ProSD - Mamiya “C” 90mm lens - Hoya CP - Velvia 50

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Fascinating how these trees can survive in rocks, gale winds and droughts, Paul.
The angle you’ve gotten tells a wonderful story of the endurance this small pine.
I like how the lines of the river create a natural flow, perfectly spotlighting the pine.
If it were mine, I wouldn’t change a thing, it is gorgeous and nicely done.

1 Like

That little tree really pops against that ominously smooth BG Paul. I really like the composition in this one. The tree looks like it is a fighter to hang on like that.

1 Like

Paul, the abstract qualities of the blurred background let the character of this little survivor stand out beautifully. (And here I thought YNP stood for Yellowstone… :wink:)

1 Like

@linda_mellor @Ed_Williams @Mark_Seaver thank you each for your reviews and comments on this small pine. From the looks of the curvature it appears to have learned to “Go With The Flow” here. … :clown_face:
@Mark_Seaver yes good point on the YNP abbreviation. If I have any other Yosemite scenes I’ll remember to use the entire name… :cowboy_hat_face: