A Wild Hair

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A small dead snag protruding out of this large pinnacle rock formation. Photographed during a summer sunrise.

Specific Feedback

ANY

Technical Details

Mamiya RB67 ProSD - Mamiya 180mm lens - Velvia 50

2 Likes

That is crazy! It almost looks like you spun the image 180. I really like the lighting and colors of the rocks. I actually think it could be a more classic image if the tree were right side up… But I think it’s a really cool find!

1 Like

That is pretty cool. When @Diane_Miller and I were in Arizona together a couple of years ago, we tried getting shots similar to this, but I don’t think the light was doing us any favors. It was fun spotting them and wondering at the impossibility of it all.

The sidelight you have here makes this work in the way it should - soft shadows and fiery highlights. The rock itself is as interesting as its dead companion. It almost seems mournful in its aspect. But that’s just silly. The seams of other rock are really interesting - what a bonus. Vanessa’s rotation idea could be fun.

1 Like

@_Kris , as you and Diane are long time photogs too I’m sure you know and can appreciate the time spent “prefielding” landscape scenes. I think wildlife and avian requires a lot of research too, but many times it is or can be by chance or circumstances that can bring on the memorable images.
Anyway, once I located this site it took some time with weather conditions and using the TPE program to line things up.
As always, thank you for the review and comment here… :+1:

2 Likes

@Vanessa_Hill , thank you for the comment and I can see your point on the 180 rotation too. In the end, mother nature provides some of the oddest items of interest. Here, like many times, I cannot figure out how any vegetation finds away to seemingly grow out of rock formations. This little growth is nothing like some of the full sized pinon pines I’ve seen a 100 ft. on top of a rock formation growing like crazy.

3 Likes

Gosh, it’s a picture of me when I first get out of bed… Nice light, great rock formation capped by that lone tree.

@Mark_Seaver I hear you. After looking at this little tree closely I think it actually still has more growth than my own head of hair… :clown_face:

I love the incongruinity of these rock trees! You found a compelling view that asks more questions than it answers. It is obvious the thought you gave to the timing of the light. Velvia pretty well cemented in its tonalities. You got what it was. Which was verrrry nice!

1 Like

This made me LOL - I wanted to go grab the nose-hair trimmers.

The light is gorgeous. Your planning definitely paid off.

1 Like

YIKES…Bonnie, maybe even sticking out of the ears too… :clown_face:
Thank you for the good laugh… :+1:

2 Likes

Oh, I really like your image. I guess it’s the minimalism that makes this special. One of your very best IMO.