Lonely Tree

Repost

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We just returned from our trip to Namibia. It was a great experience to travel this beautiful country. The vacation itself and the stressful office weeks before that were the reasons for my inactivity here at NPN… sorry for that.

This shot was taken at Spitzkoppe. The area offers massive granite rocks, a real playground for photographers. If you look closely, you will always discover small gnarled trees growing on or between these rocks.

Specific Feedback

I liked this little scene. The chaotic tree really stands out in that landscape with all those soft-shaped rocks.

I regret not having taken any more pictures without a sun star.

Is there anything that could be improved in post-processing?
As always, any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

2 Likes

Hey Jens, well back from your holiday? :slight_smile: What a nice and unseen motive! I like the symmetrical composition and the leading lines.

Just some minor details: Personally, I would have cleaned up the left side a bit more (but that’s me). Those branches distracts me a bit. Concerning the sky I would have tuned in just a tad more blue.

Anyway, congrats, great image!

1 Like

For me there is a strong and simple structure where all the leading lines in the bottom and higher converge toward a point in the middle of the image where the real subject of the picture, the sun, stands. A beautiful photo I think.

1 Like

Wonderful, with such nice soft light showing the rounded shapes of the rocks. The sun star is such a gorgeous touch for a rugged landscape. I think the centered composition works well here but I agree with @Markus_Albert about a little cleanup of the sticks. I also wonder about some gradient darkening from the left edge for that area of lighter sand(?).

1 Like

Jens, what a great way to spend your time “away.” The composition certainly works. I agree with @Markus_Albert and @Diane_Miller about ways to clean up and put more color into the sky. I wonder if adding more light under the sun star at the top of the center slope, where it gets darker, would strengthen the point of interest. That slope is lighter at the bottom and gets darker toward the sun. I find it keeps pulling my eye to the bottom of the frame.

1 Like

Hi Jens, I really like this image, and it has great potential! I did a few minutes work on it with the suggestions above, and came up with this. I hope you don’t mind. I did add a vignette, which may be too much darkness on the edge, but it’s just an idea…

2 Likes

Hello Jens, Great shot! I think that something between your original and Roberta’s version would work really well. I wanted to see more detail in the tree and slightly lighter rocks, but not quite as much. The tree is well positioned with, as others have commented, the wonderful leading lines of the rock heading straight to it. The star adds a powerful touch! But, the tree remains the hero of the image, and with the star accenting it (IMHO!).

2 Likes

Images like this are so hard to get perfect without further adjustment in editing software. and as you can see there are several ways one might approach editing. I personally just want the area at the base of the tree to be a tiny bit lighter, and to have the twigs on left cleaned up. The sky being a bit golden might help, as in the direction of the sun, there is not usually a lot of blue in the sky at that time of day…just a thought!

1 Like

What a nicely framed scene. I’m not sure what I would suggest as far as processing changes without knowing what your intent was. If it was to portray the scene the most like you saw it, I would say not many changes are necessary. The light blue sky feels right to me as I’m thinking the sun is definitely above the horizon, just hiding behind those two hills. The sky feels like morning to me, especially in a desert environment.

Maybe a touch more detail in the darkest shadows in the center of the frame would be nice. Those twigs on the ground on the left don’t bother me (but I have a relatively high threshold for errant bits that aren’t poking in from the sides of the frame).

2 Likes

I like the direction @robertakayne took this in bringing up the shadows. Makes a significant difference.

1 Like

I agree with @Igor_Doncov about @robertakayne’s adjustment – it brings up some interesting tonal features. I think going in that direction (but quite as far) would be good. That also shows up a couple of “features” that might want atttention – what might be a vapor trail in the UR corner and a couple of sensor spots in the upper left quadrant.

1 Like

@Markus_Albert @Giuseppe_Guadagno @Diane_Miller @Barbara_Djordjevic @robertakayne @Susanna_Euston @brenda_tharp @Bonnie_Lampley @Igor_Doncov
Thank you all for your feedback and kind comments.

I will try to rework the image and post a new version.

Welcome back Jens! What a great opening for your Namibia shots, not one of the common (yet beautiful) scenes I’m used to see from there.
I have to give my minority opinion… I like the image very much as it is.
It’s true that the center is quite dark, but it’s only natural in my opinion, as it stands against the sun. I do understand why some would like more details in the center, it’s probably a matter of taste and what someone likes best in this image.
But personally, what appeals to me in this image is the form: the symmetry of the rocks, the shadows formed by the way the light falls on the rocks, and the silhouette of the tree in the middle. The texture of the rocks is beautiful and adds a lot too.
So from that perspective, personally really like it as it is.

1 Like

Hi Tom,
thank you very much for your feedback.
I just added a reworked version. I’m not sure yet which version I like better.
I have printed both of them. They now hang on my magnetic wall behind my desk.

1 Like

Wow! Being a lone tree lover, this is outstanding! The lines, the sun star, the tree shape. I love everything about it! I wish I had taken it, I would have it on my wall for sure! Fantastic eye, thank you for sharing it!

Jens, I like your reworked version. The changes in the sky make a significant contribution. The lighter area at the base of the sun star adds interest and completes the shape of the tree, further strengthening the sun star’s shape. I would darken the immediate foreground of the large rock just a bit at the very bottom, but that is just my take on it. A great picture is getting even better.

Jens,

Wonderful! A wonderful example that proves rules are made to be broken! I love this centered composition! The lead-in of the varying tone of rock draws the eye in to meet the setting sun (or rising?)

I think your rework nails it. I might consider increasing the blue saturation and maybe darkening some - I’m wanting to increase the warm-cool colors. In fact, this scene reminds me of one where many years ago I wish I had that Galen Rowell Blue-gold polarizer. Or was that Moose Peterson…?

Beautifully composed and captured image.

Lon