Sunny Oaks

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A few days ago I took a morning walk with @Markus_Albert in a nearby forest.
Blue sky, no clouds, no fog… not the best conditions to photograph woodland scenes… I thought.
So I didn’t expect much when we left the spot after trying different things for an hour.

But when reviewing the underexposed images and dragging a few sliders in LR I was surprised how this image turned out.

Specific Feedback

Is there anything that I could improve in regard to the composition (I will revisit that spot tomorrow morning)?

I don’t like the slightly messy area in the LRC. I didn’t notice that on the LCD screen in the field.

What about post-processing? Any thoughts?

As always, any feedback and comment is welcome.

Technical Details

Basic adjustments in LR including cropping. Switched to PS for some minor cleanup, contrast adjustments, and enhancing the light.

1 Like

Hey Jens,

you found the winner spot :wink: It’s a great image (I wouldn’t have thought either, that we really find something), but you nailed it! This tree and its v-formed branches is a perfect woodland model! Great how the branches are leading from the edges and sides into the center with the sun as focal point.

Question of personal preferences maybe, but I find that the image is very detailed and a bit on the crispy/sharp side. Personally, I would blur the highlights just a bit in order to relieve the eye. But that’s just me …

Awesome!

Lemonade from Lemons, eh, Jens! :slight_smile:

I like this quite a lot, even with the light as it is, it’s not harsh at all and the sunburst is obviously the “Star” of the show (Pun Intended), well…maybe the sunburst isn’t the star but it is the element that sets this off and quite nicely I might add.

I also like how the tree limbs touch both sides and the top while still leaving space between limbs for BG environment.
Always a big fan of gnarly trees like this, they almost always provide lots of interest, some seem to defy the laws of gravity, meaning it makes me wonder how they are strong enough to stand on their own.

The mess you mentioned isn’t a mess to me at all and the processing looks great!

It’s difficult for me to suggest a different composition or perspective without seeing more of the environment so for me, this works really well as is! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Markus_Albert, @Merv
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Thank you for pointing that out. Some parts look a bit harsh. Maybe I try to add some softness.

Today morning I planned to shoot the same tree earlier in the morning to catch some softer light. But because of having fun with my macro lens, I arrived too late here :joy: