Another rock another tree

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I hope I don’t bore you with all these brave little trees, but this one at Spitzkoppe in Namibia caught my attention as well. I wonder how a tree can grow in such a place… it’s just a rock in the middle of the desert.

Specific Feedback

I shot this scene from different perspectives with different focal lengths. The first one was shot with 265mm, and the second one with 400mm.

Which composition do you like better?

Is there anything that can be improved in post-processing? As always, any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

1 Like

I can’t decide. I like the additional context of the first, but the intimacy of the second. They are just two different photos. I like then both.

I think their both good but I also think a tighter crop on the first image might make a little better composition.

1 Like

Hi Jens :slight_smile:

I like the earth tones and, the tree is definitely the main focal point, it is unusual for a tree to grow so well in such a seemingly impossible place.
The scale (or lack of scale) adds a lot of interest for me.
Of course I had to do a 3D Google Maps search to get a sense of the scale just for the heck of it.

I am enjoying the 400mm close-up shot but for me, I think I like the 260mm wider angle shot better because it shows more of the environment that the tree is situated in.
There’s certainly lots of possible crop options that could work very well, for me though, I think the landscape orientation works better since the mountain is much wider than it is tall.

I’m curious, did you happen to visit the Spitzkoppe Lodge? Or maybe the Spitzkoppe Bar? :slight_smile:

Anyway, I really enjoy seeing the places you visit so thanks for sharing these! :slight_smile:

I like the 400mm version more. The tree has quite a personality, doesn’t it? The 400 shows that better. I really like what the side lighting did for you in this image. The textures and the darks add so much to it. And the darks affect the tree’s personality as well.

1 Like

Jens I like very much this photo, simple and without disturbs. I like better the second picture narrower to the tree that is a little subject and difficult to size. I like most the vertical image because well balanced and improving the sight of the more interesting and strong structure in the rocks

Jens,

Not bored! These are both wonderful images telling a great nature story.

Personally I prefer the broader view because I think the nature story is emphasized here - ie. how can a tree grow on a rock? The tighter view works nicely too, but I think it becomes more about the placement of the tree, it’s character, etc., and less about the bigger picture and story.

The tighter view also has the rock behind the tree a bit brighter and kinda drawing attention away from the tree. All this is minor of course.

I do like Garry’s crop as an alternate. With that crop, form, shape and graphics are introduced, but also lessen the “tree growing in a rock” portrayal.

Beautifully seen no matter how you frame/crop it.

Lon