Life on the Rock

Anyone else spend as much time trying to title images/posts as they do processing the image?!?

I was drawn to the contrasting angles and textures between the rock and the tree here. After editing I was wondering if the tree divides the image too much thus rendering the upper left portion “meaningless.”

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Do the colors work? I tried really hard to make sure the green moss on the tree roots wasn’t “electric” green.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the composition work or does the tree divide the image too much.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Hi David. In one of your earlier posts, you asked about how does one define “good” light. To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee “now that’s good light”. This looks suspiciously like the trees growing on the rocks in your prior post. And the soft light is perfect for this type of scene.

The colors, especially the greens, work great for me, they are rich and vibrant, but realistic for this type of light. You are right, beyond the light, this image is mainly about the angles, lines and textures. This is a very well done intimate landscape, with pleasing light and color.

You ask if the tree divides the image too much, and if it renders the ULC meaningless. I’d say no. I played with a few alternate crops and could not find anything significantly better. I also like how the tree divides the image into thirds, it feels pretty well balanced. As for the ULC, I don’t see it being rendered meaningless. Rather, I think the light in this image is defined by the shadows, and the darker ULC plays a role in defining the light in the rest of the image.

Try writing haikus to accompany your images, like @Ben_van_der_Sande does :smile:

@Ed_McGuirk That means a lot! I used to play a lot of golf and it always seemed there was that one shot or one hole that kept you motivated and coming back for more. This feels like a similar circumstance. The last month in particular has had me looking much more closely at my images, particularly while editing, and thinking more carefully about compositions in hopes of improving.

This is in the same state park, same day, but in a different location. I was drawn to a number of these scenes, something about the ability of these trees to grow on the rocks and not be blown over by wind shocks me!