Together in Harmony

The tree. Standing guard, sturdy, anchored, dependable, predictable, never moving, rarely changing, the patriarch. The river. Care free, flighty, unpredictable, ever-changing, never in the same place for but a moment. Yet here they exist together, in harmony.

Ok, so my written attempt at elevating this above just two opposing textures. Same concept as my previous image. Same result? I hesitate posting. But then this isn’t just about posting our best or favorites - it’s about growing and learning. Hopefully I’ll learn something in the comments and hopefully someone else will learn something, get new ideas, etc.

Thanks for looking and any comments. And please, don’t hesitate and let me know if this works for you or not.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing, colors, blending? 3-image blend/composite.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

As I mentioned, same concept as my previous image. Wondering if crop vs. full frame results in similar thoughts, so I’ve included both. Does the inclusion of the rocks make a difference?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @58mm, iso 100. 3-image blend. Tree of course is the same in all, was shooting multiples for different effects in the water motion.

base image f/13 .5s, all the water to the right of the tree
images 2&3, f/11, f/13 .4s, .6s respectively. Water to the left of the tree.

Also, once combined, portions of rock in both LLC and LRC were CA-cloned as well as another rock at the base of the tree. could have cropped it all away, but wanted to keep as much of the water/rocks at the bottom as feasible.

I like the contrasting color and texture between the tree, moss, rocks, and river. I can see what you were after and think the concept is good. However, I think for it to work well the tree would have to have a more interesting shape. Having said that your compositional skills are more refined than my own! :grinning:

I’ll be interested to hear other’s perspectives.

Two beautiful images but two entirely different messages. The square comp is a study of the tree that just happens to have a stream in the BG. The horz. crop is entirely different in that it is a scene of a tree and stream. Both are successful depending on what your goal is. For my tastes, I prefer the horz. format because I enjoy viewing the stream as much as the tree. Great sharpness and well done on the shutter speed for the river flow. My nit would be the placement of the tree in the horz. format. IMHO, it’s a bit too centered. I might crop a wee bit off the left and, if you have image available on the right, I would add a bit there. Overall, very pleasing and eye-catching. I definitely like the inclusion of the rocks. Well done, Lon.

Your first paragraph came from your mind, not the image. Why do you assign a fantasy to this image, or any?
All photographs are two dimensional, they come with serious limitations. You may be asking to much of the medium. I think photos are so anchored in reality that it generally discourages impressionistic speculation. It seems the art world would maybe agree if one considers how photographs are valued as compared to other mediums.
TY

I prefer the horizontal image, Lon. There is more context with the river. I think the framing is fine. The processing looks real nice.
–P

I immediately love the horizontal image, especially with the flow of the river. I really like the fact that the stream looks intense on the left third of the image but subsides a little bit after the tree on the right. I think this is just stunning. The rocks on the river bank remind me of your water flow image. Brings back such good memory, Lon. Thanks for sharing this.

Both images work well from my POV here, Lon. However, as in most cases, certainly not all, I prefer the horizontal orientation. Although I do prefer what appears to be the tone or slightly darker look to the vertical…:+1:
Probably my old age eyes on that point. Not sure if that is processing, exposure, or once again just my eyes…:thinking:

btw: years ago on NPN #1 we had a discussion going on as to what homeowners preferred for wall hangers. Most agreed at the time that the verticals were more popular for everywhere in the home except over a bed or mantle. Just a bit of nostalgia for me thinking back on that discussion…:nerd_face:

I like your thinking about the tree and the river, but the images, I am kind of on the fence about them. Of the two, I prefer the horizontal second one. I am trying to figure out my thoughts on the images. My eye goes to the tree, then to the river, then back to the tree, etc. I am not feeling a synergy between the two. Maybe with the river in a shallow DofF? Heck if I know, I can’t figure it out.

Thanks for the responses thus far. Yeah, figured it wasn’t going to resonate with everyone - but the good news is, that it did with some! Has some redeeming qualities and I too love the flow of the river… but then what purpose does the tree serve? Kind of ok, now what?

Having said that, all images have value - at least to the photographer who captured them. Otherwise, why photograph at all?

Let’s just say some folks call it “imagination” and leave it at that.

Thanks @Brian_Schrayer, @Bill_Chambers, @Preston_Birdwell. @Adhika_Lie, @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Harley_Goldman for your comments and observations.

Paul - nailed it again on the brightness! :slight_smile: And Bill C. - I think a good suggestion on cropping a bit and taking the tree off center. And Harley, I think your thoughts summarize the general issue with this image and concept actually. thanks for the honest response.

I think I’m done from these non photo trip camping images… Looking for new material soon…

Thanks again!

I hope my comment made sense. I was hesitant to post because I have long appreciated your work going back to my early days on NPN. In addition to that I know that I still have a lot to learn about composition. That’s where I was going with my comment that your compositional skills are more refined than my own. It was meant to be complimentary so I hope it came across that way. :grinning:

1 Like

Lon, I heartily agree with this philosophy. And this image has certainly challenged people to think a little deeper about composition, and generated a good discussion.

And at least it seems like the water is back to flowing in only one direction in this image. :smiley:

I like the color combination of the moss and the green water, to me that is somewhat striking visually. I guess I prefer the horizontal because it allows us to see more of that green color in the water. I also think the square image is a bit too static, we see less flow in the water for one thing. In comparison to your prior similar post, I find the shape of this tree to be less interesting (despite the colorful moss), and in the square it becomes dominant, but really only due to the color of the moss.

While I prefer the horizontal, subjectively I wish the tree was in a different place. To me the water seems to flow left to right, and i kind of wish the tree was off-center to the right of the image, with the water flowing towards it. The placement of the tree here is centered enough, that it breaks up the flow of the water for me. Don’t know if that makes sense or not, but it’s how I see it.

Great discussion here. I have a little different feeling about the tree and I don’t see it as a distraction at all. I think the inclusion of the tree in the frame is very thought provoking. Not having the root/soil to ground the tree also adds to that sentiment. It makes me wonder about your thought process. I agree it can feel a little unsettling but I think it is a good thing to be agitated once in a while. Beside the texture and colors on the tree is very striking.

This is an interesting conversation - see what you’ve done @Lon_Overacker with a shot you almost didn’t post?

I’ll admit I struggled with this image. The processing looks about perfect to my eye. The colors look accurate and well represented. The moss on the tree is a great texture combined with the trunk of the tree and as you intended, i believe is successfully contrasted with the water flow. Your poem helps me to understand what drew you to capture this image and as a story of the contrast between stability and movement, permanent and transient.

The rocks and near the base of the trunk make me wish i could “ground” the image with its roots…to enhance its stability and sense of permanence. The “tree in space” creates the tension I, and perhaps @Harley_Goldman may be experiencing. Perhaps that is why others are drawn to the more horizontal/stable image display. The flow of water is beautiful and I appreciate @Adhika_Lie’s observation about the differences on either side of the tree.

Three possibilities: monochrome, vignette, crop.

I think your original works just fine, but I also think it could be pushed further artistically and still communicate stasis-dynamic duality.

2 Likes

I really like Tony’s B&W version. The tree and water work together far, far better for me in this for some reason.

2 Likes

Thanks Tony! The pure beauty of b&w is there are no bounds - the possibilities are endless.

I like the end effect in the water. I think like in a previous response, you’ve turned the water in to the abstract - or the possiblity it could be clouds again.

Not sure about the white moss though - makes me think of an old man’s stark white beard.

You do peak my interest in pushing things a bit further. Thanks Tony!

Lon

Lon,
I am late to this discussion, which I find very thought provoking. I think it is a great thing to think outside the box and bend or break the rules now and then. If we all liked the same type of images they would soon become very boring and commonplace. For me the first image is all about the tree while the second is about the water; which BTW has some wonderful textures and graceful lines. The moss on the tree works well as does the submerged rocks. I am glad you posted this.

I prefer the first image because it’s basically a vertical subject and that format feels more natural for that subject.

I, too, love @Tony_Kuyper’s creation. It let’s your imagination run wild and keeps you interested.