Hemingway Tree +Repost

Reworked

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of the larger Pinyon Pines I’ve seen and photographed. Although they have needles I was not sure but did check they are considered an evergreen.
The name is subjective only in the fact it is near the Hemingway area in JTNP.

Specific Feedback

ANY

Technical Details

Photographed during a sunrise cycle in a Monsoonal Season.
Wista DXIII 4x5 - Schneider APO 120mm lens - Velvia 50

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Not wishing to use the template approach, I really love the composition of this image and the stark green of the tree against the warmish color of the rocks. The image is also sharp. Robert Engle

1 Like

I absolutely love this photograph. Kind of a lesson for us all, that even tho there are some hard times, and we are surrounded by obstacles, we can still grow and thrive! All the rocks and lines, it’s a gorgeous photograph.

1 Like

I love trees growing out of rocks! This is a great composition. Do you have any detail in the clouds if you reduce hightlights up there? Its just a little too white up there and I actually think a reduction in highlights globally might not hurt the image at all.

1 Like

I love the character of this tree as others have noted Paul. It is amazing that it could be growing, and thriving amidst so much rocky adversity. It would be great to see if you could drag out some more detail in the sky as @Paul_Holdorf has suggested, and in the clouds filtered by the tree branches and needles (left side of the tree at the rock line and center). I also love the warmth of the rocks surrounding the tree.

1 Like

@robert21 @Judi_Hastings @Paul_Holdorf @Ed_Williams …thank you all for your reviews and kind comments on this image… :+1: :+1:
If time permits I’ll take another look at the sky area. Monsoonal sky’s can be hard to deal with once the sunrise is over the horizon. Especially when an ND might be too much for the detail in the tree area too. I’m almost sure I set the whitest area at 242-243-244 which is my usual extreme white in any scene.
Regardless, it’s worth another look see with maybe NIK usage there. Again, I sincerely appreciate the very positive input overall… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Paul, I generally don’t do this, but I think the cloud’s appearance is perfect. To me it provides an excellent back drop for the tree without creating a distraction that I believe greater detail would . Of course this is only my opinion. Robert Engle

1 Like

I did find some areas to reworked in the cloud structure and used NIK in that area too. I did find certain anomalies in the sky area that got by me on the original.

Paul, I liked the reworked version. Nik certainly can come through when we need it. The greens of the tree play well with the warm tones on the rocks. I have only one reaction to the composition. It feels like the rocks are “pushing” the tree down the hill because the lines of the tree are pointing downward. A little more real estate on the left would help balance the composition. Just my take and not meant to denigrate a beautiful subject.

1 Like

@Barbara_Djordjevic thank you so much for the comments on this scene. Yes, the digital tools such as NIK can save images we’d normally cast aside… :sunglasses:
As far as the composition. Yes, this was truly a difficult location without any fudge factor to the left. The BG area would have been an immediate eye draw making for an awkward cancellation of the tree nestled in quiet spot. There were unrelated rocks to the left and worse yet a foothill that would be peering above this somewhat simple looking location. So, I had to settle for this tightened composition in the end… :cowboy_hat_face:

Paul, I’m thoroughly enjoying the “setting” with the tree growing out of the big rock pile and the way its growth is heavy on the sunny side of the rocks. The triangle of tree balances nicely the smaller triangle of rocks. The extra sky detail in the rework is a good improvement.

1 Like

I thought there was a good reason for your composition. We have to take what nature gives us.

1 Like

I had no idea there were trees this big tucked amongst the boulders out at JTNP. Great composition and nice job working out those edits.

1 Like

@Mark_Muller thank you for the editing comment here. It took me some time to clean up the anomalies in the sky that I’d missed in the original… :sunglasses:
There are a few large trees out there. In fact, one of the locations listed as a “Tank” is the Oak Tree Tank. It’s nestled in a sandy wash near Jumbo Rock Campground… :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like