Guess Who's Coming to Dinner + Repost for Exposure

This garter snake was not at all happy at being pinned to the ground by this Red-shouldered Hawk. The hawk would occasionally “stomp” down on the snake, I’m guessing to get a better grip before finally flying away, the snake clutched in his talons. I shot this from my deck.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom @ 200mm, f/9.5, 1/3000 sec., ISO 1600, Ev -1.0 step. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

1 Like

Smart man . . . shooting from your deck, Terry. What a capture! Nature sure is fascinating. Very nicely seen and executed.

Thanks, Linda. I saw absolutely no reason for me to get involved, except as strictly an observer! :grin:

1 Like

HI Terry
I am glad you explained that the Hawk had this garter snake under its’ feet. The shot gave me the impression the snake was the aggressor in this photograph. I can understand taking the shot from you deck, but a lower angle would have been nice. The Hawk is a little hot on the brest and head.
Peter

Thanks, Peter. I adjusted brightness on the chest and head, and added a vignette, as I thought the grass was a bit bright.

What an opportunity!! Did you get any with the hawk looking at the snake?

I think you could crop in more to make the snake more prominent.

No, I didn’t. I got a good shot of him flying off, clutching the snake, but I cut his wingtips off. :frowning_face: