Red Shouldered Hawk and a Snake

Was at the Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland, FL and there were a ton of little snakes everywhere…and a hawk or two getting easy meals.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, f/5.6, 200-500 @ 200, ISO 400

2 Likes

Now that is my kind of hawk, capturing snakes instead of cute little animals or small birds! Very nicely captured. The wing position, the details and lighting really are nice. Great shot.

1 Like

@Shirley_Freeman - Hi Shirley … I like snakes! :smiley:

Chris, nice job catching this bird so sharp coming right at you. And nice behavioral image with the snake in tow. This composition works for me but I could see a version with a smidge less room on bottom and left and more on right. Nice frame.

2 Likes

What a wonderful catch!! Would have loved to see it eat the thing.

1 Like

Hi Chris
Nice action, did you have any lead time to frame up the shot? You did a good job with the contrast and sharpness. I agree with Allen on the framing. Very nice photograph.
Peter

Here is the crop but I don’t think it adds much to the overall image. I had nearly zero calculation time. He dove out of a tree from a hidden position, swooped down, grabbed the snake and literally flew by me at about waist level back to his hidey spot.

1 Like

Excellent, Chris. The relatively low focal length gave you great depth of field and the bird looks crisp at least back to the snake. I do prefer the second composition a bit more as the empty space at the bottom of the original didn’t seem to add much. Great catch.

1 Like

Wow. I got nothing else to say, but WOW.

1 Like