Gushing in the gorge

Gushing in the gorge

Sony a7iii, Sony 24mm 1.4 GM, shot at f16, 1.3 seconds, ISO 100. Single image with CPL. Edited in LR.

It has been a beautiful downpour here in the PNW lately, now if only the mountains were getting snow instead of rain…fingers crossed! This was shot a few days ago and I have had a few days now to sit and come back for adjustments. A couple things still bother me like the water spot on the top of the frame and not getting a sharper mossy tree in the URC. But with being a single image I was very happy with the result and those two issues are what made the experience great for me. The spray was wild and the wind was cookin’!

Any input/critique is welcome. I have yet to not come away with anything since posting on here so thank you all in advance! Is that proper grammar?

IG: @upperleft_jeff

Hi Jeff,
Initially I went “WOAH” when i first saw the photo…but then when i click through to the largest side, the OOF URC branches overwhelmed me and took too much of focus away from the otherwise grand scene. IMO even with those moss covered branches in focus they wouldn’t looked good in this instance.

Regards,

Sunny

P.S edited sentence mistakes.

1 Like

Thanks, Sunny. I take that as a positive first reaction! If only I had a frame where that section was as sharp as the rest…with the wind this day that was not happing. Next time!

Hey Jeff!

This is a fantastic image! Wonderfully composed. As Sunny mentioned, the OOF branches are unfortunate. I’ve been a victim to moving branches many times, and I know the frustration.

I wish there was an easy fix, because this really is a great shot.

My only minor nit would be to clone out that leaf poking out from ULC of the foreground rock. It keeps grabbing my attention.

Thanks for sharing!

Sharpness aside, my hesitation with the top branch is how it merges with that stump in the middle ground. I think if you lift up the black point on that stump, it will make the merging less pronounced and help to make the upper branch to look somewhat “smaller”. Also, the right edge can be cleaner.

Jeff,
Bummer about the limb movement, sometimes no matter what you do stuff happens. On that note were you able to capture any images that did not include the mossy limb as I think would make for a nice alternate composition? I love the flow of the water through the frame because it does add a nice sense of depth. I too would clone out that leaf on the top edge of the rock as it does catch my eye. Anyway, lovely image.

@ChrisNoronhaPhoto Thank you! I agree about the little stick poking out there on the ULC of the foreground rock. Before I posted I was having a hard time making it look like a clean clone, I think I got it out of there now.

@Adhika_Lie Thank you for the input! I will try that with where it merges with that bare tree in the background. Any suggestions on how to clean up the right edge? More vignette? Paint in some sort of effect like less clarity?

@Ed_Lowe I did not get a good image without the mossy tree. The closer I got the more intense the spray so I did not bother. Lessons learned though. Thank you!

1 Like

Re-work…

Jeff, I like what you did with the merging. To me, it helps separate the top branch and the stump and as a result helps the overall composition. I misspoke about the “right edge”, I meant the left edge. This is what I mean:

1 Like