Half Dome Exposed

This is from the same location as my last image from Cooks meadow in Yosemite. This was taken after my last post. I missed some really cool color in the sky when the guy next to me dislocated his knee and I helped to stabilize him until help arrived thus missing some pretty cool shots. More description in my last post. After it was all said and done, some of the clouds cleared a little bit and exposed half dome for about 5 minutes or so. I grabbed a bunch of images but I’m curious if you like the tighter image or more of the grand landscape image. They were taken only a minute or so apart so the lighting and the clouds are similar. Thanks for taking a peak.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D850, 24-120, ISO 160, 1/50 @ f16, 27mm for the all inclusive view and 75mm for the for the tighter view.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single image

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Even though it’s a more cliche composition the first is better. There’s a reason why compositions become cliche.

Both views are excellent but, for me, I prefer the second one best. I like the little pool at the bottom and how it’s just “pointed” enough to lead they eyes to Half Dome. I also like the broken reflection of Half Dome in the pool. Although I like it as is, I might be tempted to double process it and use a bit warmer color balance on the second image and blend the warmer, more golden Half Dome onto the original (and onto the reflection).

As I look at the revision now, it still needs work; a little burn perhaps in the shadows or more contrast, but this shouls at least give a glimpse of the concept anyway.

1 Like

I agree @Igor_Doncov about the first being more clichéd.
I also think that @Bill_Chambers revision is much more inviting. I actually cooled the image about 400 Kelvin as I thought that since it was cold and wintery a cooler look might benefit but warming just the face of half dome really pops this image. Thanks again Bill. We’ll done.

The second image is more inviting to me. I also like the warmer revision provided by Bill.

I like both and they tell a different story. I think Bill’s rework works well on the second image. You can’t go wrong with either.

Hi @David_Haynes, the first image is the best. Composition is perfect (subject well framed) as the post process. Very good shot in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

David,

Can’t go wrong with either - and they are both totally different images - despite Half Dome being the primary subject.

The first is just wonderful because of the moment captured. This is what I love about photography. 10.7 trillion images of Half Dome captured… and counting… yet this image is unique in all of the world. I love the fleeting moment of light in Yosemite and this captures it beautifully. The way the clearing storm enshrouds HD makes this one work beautifully for me.

The second one is beautiful too and more of your classic landscape view. Again, totally different image than the first. I too like the pool and “snow muffins” in the foreground meadow. If anything, if it were mine I would be inclined to do something about the large snow muffin/rock middle of the bottom edge; just slightly awkward/intrusive to me. Cropping would be dicey as it gets close to the reflection of Half Dome… so maybe some creative thinking around that. But this is pretty minor, but does make me give the edge in preference to the first image.

Lon

I’m coming in late here David, but you did very well for yourself, despite being the Good Samaritan.
I have never been to Yosemite, but I would find it hard to pass up shooting “cliche” compositions like #1, when you have snow and clouds like this. I prefer cleaner, simpler compositions, so that’s the reason for my preference for #1 over #2.

My only other comment is that with those trees, snow and clouds, that image #1 is made for B&W. Even though that may be even more of a cliche, i would still give it a whirl…

Thanks @Harley_Goldman, @Lon_Overacker, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_McGuirk, @Lon_Overacker, @masdamb, @ for your comments. Yep, very cliche but like Ed, I simply found it impossible not to shoot these types of images with all of this snow and the weather conditions. Ed, I have lots more Intimate shots from this trip and I might post a couple for more direction but I think you are right about converting to a black and white. It seems made for it.